Windows 8 Anti-Virus.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by akash4357, Aug 8, 2012.

1. akash4357

akash4357 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Do we need to install any antivirus software on Windows 8? Because I read that Win 8 will have an inbuilt antivirus.

Here's my findings on this topic.

"Microsoft's Windows 8 will activate its built-in antivirus software only if it senses that the PC is not protected by another security program, according to AV vendor McAfee."

"
    Windows 8 will activate Windows Defender only if there is no other antivirus software on the computer. Even if Windows Defender detects that existing antivirus software hasn’t been updated recently, it will only offer Windows Defender as one of several choices, and only after leaving users vulnerable for 15 days.During those 15 days, the Windows Action Center will warn users that their antivirus package has expired and offer them information on how to renew their license.
    Leaving users in a position where they’re vulnerable for 15 days because of no new antivirus updates when there’s a fully-featured antivirus package installed on the system seems highly negligent of Windows to me. Users have paid for a Windows license, and that Windows license buys them the right to use Windows Defender, and yet a deal struck between Microsoft and the OEMs means that consumers aren’t able to benefit from the feature they’ve paid for."

So the important question is whether we should install an antivirus? If so, then which would be the best antivirus for Windows 8?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. newt182

newt182 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2008
  3. rockyshaw

rockyshaw MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials , so yes there is no need of new antivirus + MSE is more than enough until you click on everything

4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm, i am not into w8.
    hated garbage from the day i was born..
    but mse is good stuff,
    users should be wise enough to install antivirus
    if they start using a new os, and not wait for
    some your machine is not safe message..
    used mse in xp and w7, still do, i think it is
    hassle-free, small footprint, and no worse than the rest,
    detection-wise.
    it is free too, if you happen to have a `legal`copy of
    windose. use it by all means..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Digitalpimp

Digitalpimp MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2011
    Just a quick warning. Many vendors aren't up to speed on 8 yet. I ran a scan with the latest Malwarebytes and it found system files which it didn't like. I figured they were false positives but deleted just to see. Windows 8 would not boot back into my profile and any attempts to repair were futile. Had to re-install. Just a heads up.

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
  7. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I'm using Eset Smart Security and it works fine with Win8.

8. DEBKOL35

DEBKOL35 MDL Senior Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Using norton 360 v6 ..working fine.

9. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I would say Windows 8 is the most safest Windows OS to date. With the updated Windows Defender with both Antivirus, Spyware and Malware protection one wouldn't need anything else cluttering the OS.

10. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    the HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System) in ESET Smart Security is not working with windows 8 RTM.

11. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I don't need it anyway so disabling it solves this problem for me. :)

12. Sunwalker

Sunwalker MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2012
    Try Eset Smart Security 6 RC with win8 RTM :biggrin:

13. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    Norton Internet Security 2012 19.7.1.5 work perfect....;)

14. Sunwalker

Sunwalker MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2012
    May b eset should fix in their final release;)
    Or try bit defender 2013 i had no issues with it

15. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    does it still have a lot of false positives?

16. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Do any of these have a third-party application-based firewall? I like having one, not really for security, but to be notified when various applications attempt net access.

17. Sunwalker

Sunwalker MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2012
    yeah Norton has several FPs But Bit Defender has few FPs when compared 2 Norton

18. DEBKOL35

DEBKOL35 MDL Senior Member

Mar 20, 2009
    norton 360 v6 too.. :D