Windows 8 - Blank Black Blinking Screen after Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by aadhu, Mar 13, 2013.

1. aadhu

aadhu MDL Novice

May 6, 2007
    I have an Asus N53SV Laptop Running Windows 8.

It has been working properly for around 4 Months since I did my clean install from Windows 7 (format C: and installed windows 8 using the $14.99 Upgrade key).

A couple of weeks back after my system restarted from an update it would not boot into windows. It will show the blue widows booting icon and then Blank. I'll get a blank black screen that keeps blinking.

If I manually shut down and restart the Laptop a couple of times it does the Automatic Restore thing and restores the system to a point before the windows update and everythings fine.. boots up and all.

I did a search and there was a lot of posts about it being a problem with the NVIDIA drivers (saying windows installs older version of the drivers then whats on the system and this causes some conflict)

So I removed all NVIDIA drivers and Disabled windows automatic driver installation option. Re-Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers. And again after windows update same thing happens. Blank Black Blinking Screen.

Does anyone know of a solution? Or have this same problem?

Thanks

My Systems Specifications is as Follows:

Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor

Memory
    DDR3 1333 MHz 16 G SDRAM

Display
    15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/Full HD (1920x1080) LED Backlight Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology

Chipset
    Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

Graphic
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Storage
    500GB 7200rpm With 4 G SSD

Networking
    Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
    Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.1+EDR (Optional)
    Built-in Bluetooth™ V3.0 (Optional)
    10/100/1000 Base T

Interface
    1 x Microphone-in jack
    1 x Line-in Jack
    1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
    1 x USB 3.0 port(s) (Optional)
    3 x USB 2.0 port(s)
    1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    1 x HDMI

Audio
    Built-in Speakers And Microphone
    Bang & Olufsen ICEpower®

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Which Nvidia driver you did install? running an Asus here as well with same GT 540 -DRIVER 314.07 all ok.
    Does your system work ok with windows generic driver?

3. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Some people are complaining about this issue, and most of the cases are coming from Windows themes patchers.You should verifiy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aadhu

aadhu MDL Novice

May 6, 2007
    Im using the Same Driver..

I'll try the beta driver and see thanx :)

O I didn't come across that in my searchs.. that really could be my problem I did patch my system to run custom themes. I can't recall which app i used tho. Hope there is an uninstall option.

6. dsbig

dsbig MDL Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I can confirm that this happened to me when I had my theme files patched.

but just to confirm. it might be related. but at the time the screen was blinking, did any usb devices blink off and on too?

I had this problem with patched theme files and using transparency programs. weird that it was effecting my usb port....

7. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I seem to only have this problem when using uxstyle. Anyway to prevent instead of not using uxstyle? :(

8. zeeus

zeeus MDL Member

Jan 30, 2013
    That's True !!! Confirmed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. aadhu

aadhu MDL Novice

May 6, 2007
    Yup confirmed it was the theme patcher. I could not restore the theme file because I didn't know which theme patcher I used. Did a reinstall, updated everything NVIDIA drivers and all. Skipped theme patching and everything works.

But I still wish there was a working way to patch the theme files and still get windows updates without problems. I love me my full black windows 8 theme.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  11. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    You could also use system restore to avoid reinstalling your system.

The only way is to restore the original files, do the update and then patch them again.

12. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Windows 8 seems a little more tough to patch than windows 7 was. Thanks! :)

13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    it always amuses me reading about someone patching the unknown ... :kicking:

14. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Ha ha! What I'm confused about is I thought UXstyle didn't patch anything so I'm unsure why runs into that silly ass problem lol.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012

You could have run sfc /scannow from CMD to repair the patched files...

16. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Yeah, I've done that a few times :)
    That's actually what I use which why I'm so confused lol. It hasn't been updated since September though :/

17. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Just tried again with Uxstyle and got that dang flashing screen lol. It use to work well for me in the last month. Must be an update M$ released lately.

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    seems that MS patches the patches intentionally :D

19. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I think your right. It's a shame they should just let us use custom themes already like Linux lol.