Windows 8 brightness is high on Startup but goes back to normal

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ReaLiTY, May 14, 2013.

1. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    #1 ReaLiTY, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I recently installed windows 8 on my dell laptop. The brightness is automatically set to higher than my normal settings whenever the PC boots up. It starts from the Blue Window 8 logo screen to the Select Your Operating System screen. I'm dual-booting windows 7 and 8. When it reaches the Enter your user password screen, it goes back to back to normal settings. (I always set Brightness to lowest possible). So basically this always happens when the PC boots up, But it auto-adjusts itself to my settings after I enter my password).

I installed the Ambient Light Sensor drivers for my laptop to fix the Device Manager yellow exclamation marks. But I disabled the Ambient Light Sensor service in Services.msc, but that didn't fix it ... Adaptive Brightness is also disabled..

Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks in advance for any help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I think you will have to accept that, nothing controls your screen brightness until windows finish booting. I have two laptop, and both always go like you described.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I've that problem on my Acer Aspire 4752G only as long as the DOS Bootscreen is shown, while change to the Windows startup, it's back to normal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks for your replies guys. really appreciate it.

Yeah..i figured it was like that. Maybe it's just me but I thought Windows 7 didn't have this problem?

Also dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 8, When you switch Operating Systems, it deletes your Restore Point for the other OS ... o_O
    I'm guessing there's no fixing for that either ...

still in the phase of testing Windows 8, didn't have the time until now.. atm i'm loving it ..startup is way faster... :yeah:

miss the Start Menu though.. so installed Startisback, and i'm happy again ^_^

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you could use 2 different HDD's. one for 7 and one for 8, you could use the BIOS Boot Manager for to boot either of the OS's. In that case you would need to disconnect the other HDD while installing Windows on one. After that you would have to "change" the connected HDD and install the other OS. After both setup is ready, you could connect both HDD's and had even access to the "other" HDD while running one OS and vice versa.

Do it that way, would be the most easy way to keep both System fully "alive" even if one of the HDD's would fail, the other would still fully work. If using a Software Boot Manager, it could be possible that in case of the "Master" fail, you didn't get access to the other HDD/OS any more. Personally I use BIOS Boot Manager only if I run more than one OS on my PC('s)!

6. trlkly

trlkly MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    No, I also had this "problem" on Windows 7. And Windows XP. It's just inherent in how the system works.

That's assuming you don't mean the backlight. That may be fixable, but you'd have to go into your BIOS settings and set the brightness there. On many computers, there is a prompt when your computer starts to tell you how to edit the BIOS. If you just have a machine logo (not a Windows logo) instead, try pressing any key (ESC usually works) while that logo is displayed, and see if that changes the screen.

If that doesn't work, try pressing DEL, ESC, F1, or any other function key and see if that will automatically open your BIOS settings.

As for System Restore, did you try turning it off on your Windows 7 drive while in Windows 8, and vice versa while in Windows 7? That might help. Personally, I don't really use System restore, so that's not a problem for me.

7. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    Yea i researched the problem with System Restore.. seems like its the same for everyone..just something I gotta live with ...ended up just dumping windows 7 and going with Windows 8 only. so far so good..

8. nicktorn

nicktorn MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    This happens to me as well on my laptop since I have custom color settings with the gamma a little bit lower than my monitor is regularly. The custom settings aren't applied until after I hit my desktop.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Does that short period of a few seconds really matter? I wouldn't even start thinking about that!