Windows 8 build-in Administrator account

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by luke7, Mar 6, 2012.

1. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 luke7, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    Any way (reg tweaks etc) to enable switch to Microsoft account from build-in Administrator?

When you enable Net user administrator /active:yes

2. mikosoft

mikosoft MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    you can enable it from local security policy as following:

1-from run dialog enter secpol.msc
    2-navigate to local policies then security options
    3-enable administrator account status

3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #3 SOCRATE_MMXII, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    You want a list of users to be displayed on logon screen?
    go to registry to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profile List] in there you'll find a key named .DEFAULT.Delete this key and each time you'll power on the PC the logon screen will show you a list with all the users.
    Hope this helps.

Or, if you want to LogOn automatic with a user follow these steps:
    START->RUN ->netplwiz
    1.Check the Users must enter a username and password to log on to this computer and click OK
    2.Click on the account username you want to log on automatic to highlight it
    3.Uncheck the Users must enter a username and password to log on to this computer and click OK
    4.In the password field enter the password and in the confirm password box and click OK
    Enjoy. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    As mikosoft said, you can enable the in-built Administrator with the local security policy but the problem is you can't run the metro applications with the in-built Administrator account.. even the basic metro calculator can't be runned it throws up an error..

5. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 luke7, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    (OP)
    Hi again
    I can use most of the metro apps on the build-in administrator account when I change
    this regkey FilterAdministratorToken from 0 to 1
    However skydrive needs the microsoft account.
    On the default user you enter more pc settings (from metro) and open user.
    There is an option to switch to Microsoft account.
    This option is not available by default on the build-in administrator account.
    I am looking for a way to enable it.

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    W8 sure made it hard to get a fully working Admin account :\ Deactivating UAC breaks Metro, hopefully somebody finds a way to create a second Super User account, using the Admin one isnt really recommended as if you break it you can have to Reinstall or well now you can just Refresh the PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. testplayer

testplayer MDL Junior Member

Jun 25, 2011
    You can run a regular program as built-in administrator by right clicking on a program icon and selecting it, but is it possible to run a metro app as limited user when you login as built-in administrator? I really don't want to FilterAdministratorToken, since if I did that, I will have to manually run a regular program as administrator, simply double-clicking a program will run it as a limited user.

8. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    How to turn off UAC please Win8 :confused:

9. kizo2703

kizo2703 MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2010
    #9 kizo2703, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    And therefore it's much safer. :cool:

10. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    If you're not into metro, following can be done:

1) Set UAC to never notify
    2) In the registry set EnableLUA to zero
    3) In secpol under local policy-security options, set "Run all admins in admin approval mode" to enabled, that'll get rid of the annoying "Continue" popup one get while doing things such as copying files across...

Obviously these are not the greatest settings security wise.....

Also, if one needs to pretend to be system/TI for some specific stuff (like editing stubborn reg entries), it can be done with a tool like devxexec.

11. testplayer

Jun 25, 2011
    I've tried that in order to make metro apps working, the explorer shell has to be run without full administrative token, to do that, you have to enable UAC (EnableLUA = 1) or FilterAdministratorToken=1 for the built-in administrator. I tried to kill the explorer shell and re-run it as an administrator, and then it cannot run metro apps.
    However, since you can run your file explorer in a separate explorer.exe process, you can make it run with full administrative token, and every process run from that process will be assigned the same token automatically, so you will get the same user experiences as you do when you disable UAC, except that every thing start from the explorer shell by default will be run as a limited user. For example, if you type win+r and cmd, this will not be an elevated console, but if you type in cmd in the address bar of the separate elevated file explorer, it will be elevated automatically. If you have to run a lot of things from the explorer shell, you may manually set those programs to be run as an administrator in the compatibility tab of properties. Then you just double click them, again, you get the same user experience as disabling UAC, although technically a little bit different if you look at the token in details...

To run a separate explorer.exe with full administrative token (and also high integrity level), you can try this method: msfn.org/board/topic/144776-unable-to-open-an-elevated-windows-explorer-window/

12. testplayer

Jun 25, 2011
    Hi,
    Is it a requirement to use microsoft account in order to install any app from the windows store? It's quite annoying...

13. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    This can't be fixed since it is MS protection for blocking stealing Metro applications...

14. testplayer

Jun 25, 2011
    #14 testplayer, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Just a side note that, if you set some programs to run as administrator in the compatibility tab of properties, it may have problem. I've tried that for the PortableApps.com's PortableAppsPlatform.exe, then if I launch google chrome portable from that, it will have a problem. Because google chrome will force every tab to be run with untrusted integrity level, but if the PortableAppsPlatform.exe to launch google chrome has been explicitly set to run as administrator in the compatibility tab, it will tell google chrome to run all the child processes in the same way, so there will be a conflict.

15. testplayer

Jun 25, 2011
    #15 testplayer, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    That's still possible, see blogsolute.com/install-metro-apps-outside-app-store-windows-8-powershell/23724/
    Basically you need a windows developer license by using Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration in PowerShell, and then you just login with your microsoft account. See details at: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh974578.aspx
    After that just follow the above blog article, then you can install ANY metro style app you want, including the cracked one.

By the way, only pro, enterprise and RT versions support metro apps deployments.

16. islam

islam MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    fix This app can't open windows 8

this fix worked for me:

You got any of these annoying errors with Built-in Administrator account on Windows 8?

This app can't open
    can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again.

islamadel.com/en/notes/6-computer/29-win8fixadmin