Windows 8 - Cannot install except by right clicking and 'Run as Admin'

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by apex2000, Apr 25, 2013.

1. apex2000

apex2000 MDL Senior Member

May 6, 2007
    At present I cannot run any programme installer except by right clicking and choosing 'Run as Administrator'.

This has happened twice recently and the cause is totally unknown to me. I have just recently re-installed everything afresh, and this morning I have got the same problem - I clicked on an installer and the following error message popped up:

Unable to execute file in temporary directory. Setup aborted.
    Error 5: Access is denied.

Can anyone suggest a reason and a remedy for this?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Check User Permissions. Maybe create a new Administrator Account for to check that would work normal.

Take over Ownership of the needed folders.

And a question: Had you installed any 3. Party System Tools upfront?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #3 rrohela, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    browse to the temporary directory, right click and select security, check that you have permissions to write to that directory.

Also check for your last update you installed before problem....

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Perhaps a simple restore to an earlier point where it worked perfectly would help

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Unfortunately that didn't helps in some cases! System restore will not restore files which were changed by the system itself or by updates, just to name those. I had quite a bit of cases where system restore didn't helped at all.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I know this but to simply check if it helps is no big deal at all

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    We both know that Paul, but does the OP?:D

My post were only for not get angry if Restore didn't work!:biggrin:

8. apex2000

May 6, 2007
    I have done a few more checks on this problem and find that not all installer files are affected - some work, some have to be right clicked.

Below is a list of updates received since reinstalling and updating on 21/4/2013 (after which, there were no apparent problems).

View attachment 21705

I have taken ownership of the Temp folder under the Users folder to no avail.

I feel that this may be the result of one of the updates as I have never experienced anything like this before and there is nothing at all unusual installed on my computer that was not there in the past.

Anyone have any other ideas?

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure, it's maybe possible that MS is starting to implement Digital Signatures for more 3.Party Apps now?! In that case it would wonder if such problems come up. Or, something in the code of the apps is missing which would be needed for easy installation and triggers to check for permission because it's missing.

There so many possibilities it may hard to find out.

On the other hand, why bother with just 1 or 2 click for to allow the install?!

10. apex2000

May 6, 2007
    OK. Seems to be solved now as follows:

AppData > Local > Temp - Properties > Security Tab

I double clicked on 'Everyone' and changed the permissions to 'Full Control' - now the installers that I was having trouble with are working without right clicking.

Though this has solved the problem, I don't really understand why it should be necessary to do it? Were the permissions changed by an MS update or whatever?

Your comments are really appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

11. apex2000

May 6, 2007
    I agree with you that the '1 or 2 clicks' are not troublesome. However a problem arises when automatic updates (not MS) will not install because admin rights are required and/or the Temp directory cannot be written to.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's true! I never had that problem because after I install any new OS, one of the first action is to set the permissions for everything. That also include those files and folder in the ProgramData Folder, which is hidden on default. Not to mention that under the User Folder also some files and folder which should be "adjusted"!

13. apex2000

May 6, 2007
    Do you have any specific recommendations for which folders, etc., that should be 'adjusted' after a new install? A list of those that you 'adjust' would be appreciated - probably by others, too.

In all my years using Windows (since Windows for Workgroups 3.1) I have never had to set permissions for folders such as those that we are talking about.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's mainli the files and folder in one mainfolder:
    c:\users\[your username]\AppData\Local all files and folders in this one. AppData is hidden as well so you'll need to set visible.

Maybe it's not need to set for all but done once and don't need to go there again!

15. Memnon

Memnon MDL Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I was facing same problem. In case of me it was started with installation of vlc player.
    I Simply delete Everyone from security tab in properties of Temp folder. now ok.

16. apex2000

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for all your replies. I'll have to remember this for the future.

17. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Are you guys using CCleaner or another tool that removes temporary files?

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Is this a recommendation or a warning on the above issue?

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #19 Shenj, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  20. apex2000

May 6, 2007
    I have not used any Cleaner on my computer. The software I have installed is the same software that I've used for a long period of time, but the install problem has only shown up within the last week or so.