Windows 8 Clean Install From Upgrade Key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NSDCars5, Oct 25, 2012.

1. NSDCars5

NSDCars5 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2012
    Is it possible? I just got the Windows Upgrade Offer (the $14.99 one) for my new laptop, but I'd like to do a clean install, to co-exist beside Windows 7 (mainly to be kept for gaming purposes). Is the upgrade offer key valid for clean installs? Also, this site put up a guide for clean-installing Windows 7 with an upgrade key. Are those methods possible for Windows 8? The version I'm getting is Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.

2. buaya_hunter

buaya_hunter MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes, I tried a Windows 8 Clean Install From Upgrade Key and it works.

But you can't do a Windows 8 Clean Install (or as a matter of fact, a windows 8 wmc clean install) From a WMC key. Apparently, you do need to have a working windows 8 pro installation before it allows you to enter the wmc key to upgrade ur windows 8 pro installation to a windows 8 wmc installation

3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    So..... even if you don't have ANY previous version of Windows... you can install with the Upgrade key?

Good.... 40$ for PRO + free Media Center key.......

at this price, i will probably buy my copy this time...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NSDCars5

NSDCars5 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks! At INR 699 in India ($13), it's seriously good. Yeah, so even I'm buying my copy this time... :)

5. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Does it let you choose 64 bit or 32 bit as part of the assistant ?
    Last legit MS OS I have was XP OEM.

6. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Answer my own question - If you want to do that you need to do it with the upgrade DVD.

7. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    no u cant install fresh win 8
    u have to have a win xp,7 or vista installed before u upgrade.

8. mkd79

mkd79 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    I too only had a legit Win XP so went back to WinXP and paid my £24.99. While downloading I just read you don't get the option to upgrade to x64 :( Tried virtual machine with my key on all MSDN versions but does not like. Tried upgrading key through command prompt but still no go.

My 2 questions are:

1. Is my key cover both x86 and x64??
    2. Does or can anyone put up the windows 8 upgrade iso and will my key work on that?? (Uploaded.to server if possible ??)

Bit annoyed as was going to buy DVD version but thought the £24.99 option gave you the choice :0(

9. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Have you tried installing with the Technet / MSDN one then doing :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

Change "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0"

slmgr /rearm

then install your key

slmgr -ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
    slmgr -ato

(From the upgrade thread).

If ^^ works for you I will probably do the same.

10. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Is that the way around this? I really want to upgrade to Windows 8 tomorrow but I really don't want to do the s**tty upgrade process everytime I need a fresh install...I like to be able to freely reformat without having to go through 2 OS installs

11. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I *THINK** that using an MSDN/Leaked ISO will work with the key without having to install Windows 7 before.

But if it doesn't works, you have the option to create a "Custom Refresh Image" of your installation by using the command-line tool RECIMG.

Also, you may take a look at my recovery partition creator in my signature. It may be useful if you reinstall frequently....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    can you explain more about the command line and what it does

13. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    RECIMG create a snapshot of the current Windows installation (program, drivers, etc.) EXCEPT you personal files (basically, the USERS folder).

when you restore, it bring back the image but keep your profile and your personal files.

14. Tunyd

Tunyd MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    is the download tied to the key? maybe a stupid question.

Im buying win 8 pro upgrade for 4 laptops, looks like it can be put on a usb key from the upgrade assistant.

15. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
  16. kmetek

kmetek MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    i just bought this "upgrade key" for 14,99€...running non legit version of xp 32 bit eng....will it work? waisted 14,99€? :p

17. motaba

motaba MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2007
  18. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Yes, it works, installing the key with slmgr -ipk command.

19. XRobRoyX

XRobRoyX MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Clean install Windows 8 pro Upgrade....

To all of you who are uncertain of this, I can verify that you do not need any kind of Trick & Cheats to do this.
    This i not a guess or just me blabbing empty words, I have done this several times already.

When I set up a PC I always delete all partitions including the recovery partition, I will never ever need this. Of course I always ask people and explain what this means before doing so on others machines.
    But by deleting all that crap the manufacturer installs gives you an entire better feel and overview of your setup.

To get the upgrade you need a PC with an activated OS XP and up, go to this link and follow directions,- :Lighten:ht:Lighten:tp://:Lighten:windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_MSCOM_Prog_FPP_Null_Null
    During the procedure you get the option to save to an ISO file, do that and burn with your preferred program (ImgBurn)
    You also get the option to buy an install DVD ($20) waste of money if you ask me.

If you need Windows Media Center it is available for free limited to January 31, 2013 -- :Lighten:ht:Lighten:tp://:Lighten:windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
    Instructions on how to in the link.

-----------
    Windows 8 Pro 64 bit DK Upgrade bought from Microsoft can be installed and activated without any kind of previous installation or use of licenskeys (Clean Install)

>>Boot from CD, and when you get to –“Which installation type do you want” Choose Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
    Choose now which partition you want to use or delete all partitions by clicking (Drive options (advanced) Highlight each (one at the time) partition and delete.
    Now create a new partition for your OS, use either all available space (one partition) or split the space as you desire. The other partitions can be created after installation via Disk Management.
    Final highlight the partition you created or chose and click next, installation begins.

I´m a new member and there for not allowed to post links so please remove the :Lighten: from my links, perhaps an Operator will remove them, Thanks.