Windows 8 CP: Normal Install or Virtual Machine?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mazrim Taim, Feb 26, 2012.

?

W8 CP: Normal Install or Virtual Machine?

1. Normal Install (for instance Old PC or Dual Boot)

158 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Virtual Machine

41 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Other (Please specify in reply)

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012
    According to the Sinofsky blog there was a lot of interest in running the Windows 8 Developer Preview in a virtual environment.

So now I'd very much like to know how people are going to be using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Do you have an old PC lying around that you're going to use?

Or are you going to dual-boot, triple-boot, etc. on a PC that has your main OS.

Maybe run from USB? Or not at all?

Or are you going to use Virtual Machine? And if so, which one? VMWare, VirtualBox or something else?

Just like with the WDP I'm going to use VMWare Workstation 8. Assuming of course the CP will run on it. ;)

It is after all still only a beta, and will eventually have to be removed. So I'm not going to risk having to reinstall my main OS.

2. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Both (as I did with the WDP). I'll be doing the same with the WCP as well. Reasons are rather simple - I never run x32 bare-metal anymore (which means that if x32 gets tested it has to be in a VM). ASlso, I have been using the WDP as a test case to compare various free VM solutions - this will continue with the WCP. However, there is a strong likelihood that the WCP could replace my Windows 7 install - not the WDP install. That is pretty much due to *lack* of compatibility issues between my normal applications and the WDP. The sixty-four-cent question is can I install the WCP the same way I installed the WDP, but from the WDP partition (and replacing Windows 7 instead)?

3. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I am going to install it on my i3.

4. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I won't use VMs since I got my old Paq to work again :spoton:. It's ideal: I run the x86 on the Paq and the x64 on my main PC. I'm planning on running it as primary OS again on my Core i7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    I'll be dual-booting with Windows 7 x64 on my laptop, as i'd like to see what changes MS has made to WCP build since WDP (which i hated.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Shirozawa

Shirozawa MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2012
    We can install WCP in dual boot ? Because we can't with WDP

7. jygoro

jygoro MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Other: I will create a VHD with WIM2VHD and boot it natively. Everything done in 10 minutes at most. :)

8. asfaltas

asfaltas MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    on virtual first some test and after real pc :cool:

9. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012

If I had an old PC somewhere I'd go for a normal install too. I do have an old computer though (still working), but its a Commodore 128D. I don't think it can handle Windows at all. :biggrin:

So on my laptop it's going to be VM. But if I really like the CP, than I'll probably do a normal install on my 6 year old desktop PC, making that a triple-boot machine.

10. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
  11. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I using both of my test rigs for the CP install.
    Dual booting w/ Windows 7 (actually 1 has 6 OSs & the other has 4 OSs, incl 1 w/ XP even).

12. goritsaman

goritsaman MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Gonna dual boot with w7 ultimate on my i7, and use it on my laptops also, all going to plan:biggrin:

13. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I'll be doing multi-boot as usual...replacing WDP with WCP, after saving my files of course:D

14. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    i'll be testing both. first i'll run it in vmware and then if all that goes well, i'll setup a partition for it.

maybe i'll look into setting in up as a .vhd. i've never done that before

15. Shirozawa

Shirozawa MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Because when I installed WDP I could not use W7

16. DaNiEx

DaNiEx MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2012
    Inmediately after to had downloaded, I install it as main os, in my laptop, obviously saving before some files, like when i did with leaks and DP.:rofl6:

17. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    I did a normal install using Developer Preview and I've been using it since September 2011 :) I'll definitely switch it with Beta the same way, Virtual Machine is pretty much useless, I would use VHD rather than a VMachine.

18. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    When I dual boot I always use a 2nd hard drive and disconnect all other drives before I install the other OS. This prevents problems. Works for me.

19. FormatC

FormatC MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2012
    Same here!

20. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    I would install in dual boot with Win 7 x64.

My PC is tactille with screen and TV card.
    It is unclear what will Media Center on WCP.

If Media Center is also interresting that in Win 7, I would not hesitate to install single boot.
    :Flush: