Windows 8 Deactivated

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by KrlzGmz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Yesterday my computer was running fine, I haven't changed a single driver (I didn't even bother installing drivers when I formatted, Windows had it all covered). Today I turn my computer on:

Please activate Windows.

Weird, luckily I have my activation back up. I follow all the steps from the back up thread, boot back up:

Please activate Windows.

The watermark is back, personalize is locked up, I'm back to the start menu default theme.

Did my computer/activation get black listed? Anyone experienced the same thing?
    Would re-installing Windows help? It'll suck having to install Windows weekly to "refresh" the activation.

I'll just mess around a couple more times with the back up before giving up. Personally I'm not re-installing Windows till it's restarting my computer every 30 seconds.

2. DarkStarXxX

DarkStarXxX MDL Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Simply uninstall the Driver and then Restore your Activations Files.

3. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    I'm sorry, uninstall what Driver exactly? As I said, I haven't installed a single driver, Windows installed every driver by itself. :waycon1:

Anyways, I found out my sppsvc service is not working anymore. I read in a couple 2010 threads that it's permissions might be broken.
    I restored it's permissions to NETWORK SERVICE (Took ownership, added NETWORK SERVICE in "Group or username" tab and gave it full access).
    Not sure if that's the way it's done but it's not working. It's supposed to be running from NETWORK SERVICE so I tried "net start sppsvc" on CMD
    but I still get access denied. I ran out of ideas how to get the service running, whatever I try gives me the "Access denied" error.

4. Oldy

Oldy MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2011
    Sorry for my bad english but i noticed a strange thing today....

first day when i install 8 pro i leave WU at check for updates but let me choose..... today i go something in setting, change pc settings and at bottom in WU i see install updates automatically, strange.... :Don't no:

5. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    To the OP: Did you use a legit Technet/MSDN key from your Technet/MSDN account, or did you use one of the already blacklisted keys found on the internet? If yes to the last, there you have your reply. Get a legit key, and you will be fine. But it is not free.

6. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    I did not use Technet/MSDN key, I activated my Windows using the last IPv6 leaked KMS around August 13th.
    If Microsoft is deactivating those Windows activated through leaked KMS, I'm more than fine with it, but if I'm the only one, I'll find a way to fix it.

7. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    So you are using an illegal activation on your pirated Windows 8, and wonder why your activation is messed up? There is no permanent activation solutions for Windows 8 yet. If you want to stay activated, buy an Technet account, or wait to 26.October and buy a copy.

8. Lacius

Lacius MDL Member

Oct 22, 2010
    My KMS activation is working fine. Your deactivation likely followed some sort of hardware or driver change, as far as I understand it.

9. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Why are you bashing on me like I'm the only one who activated using a leaked KMS?
    I undertand it's illegal but if noone else is having issues, it's obviously something I did wrong, and not the activation randomly "messing up".

I know, but that's what bothers me, I didn't change any drivers. :(
    I'll have to re-install Windows and report back.

10. woot332

woot332 MDL Senior Member

Feb 18, 2011
    @KrlzGmz maybe using the enterprise evaluation could be a option, it can
    be used for more than 90 days.;)

11. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    #11 KrlzGmz, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    (OP)
    Against my will, I re-installed Windows. Activation back up worked like a charm. I don't really know what I did to break it, but I must have done something wrong.
    I just entered the same Email address I used before re-installed on the store app. Not a very smart thing to do, I know.
    Watermark is back. Please activate Windows. I'm already downloading Enterprise Eval but I better forget about that Email.

I remember reading about the Enterprise Eval but, for some reason, I disregarded it as unnecessary since my KMS activation would last 180 days.
    Now I realized I can get the same amount of days, without worrying about breaking my activation, and using a legal MS option.
    All I have to do now is find some time to download it over my awesome connection. (62 kb/s max [512kbps], 11 hours, isn't that pure awesome?)

12. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    What? I'm new to this forum, is this guy a known troll?

I have no problems installing Windows, in fact, installing Windows 8 is so straight forward anyone having troubles installing it should just go out and get a Facebook machine (they call it iMacs on the store).

I was having problems Activating it and I already sorted it out, so thank you for your advice.

13. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Most users turn on "recommended setting" while installing windows, that's what update your driver automatically (recommended for genuine user)

since you're using leaked KMS, then your system got deactivated due to driver changes (not all driver though)
    but if you already turn off the windows update, I've no idea what happens. Cheers.

14. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Yea, I made sure to turn off automatic updates and I checked off updating drivers because I read changing drivers deactivates Windows.

I'm already downloading Enterprise Eval, it'll take me a couple days but I ran out of options to activate RTM.

15. sansini

sansini MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    If you are talking about using the recommended setting for Windows Updates and if this installs drivers then your advice is a little off. You'll find that Windows has more than likely installed 99.9% of drivers before you get to the first logon or OOBE choices screen. The original poster has just been very unlucky as most KMS activated users are still activated ok. Using the leaked KMS has nothing to do with his issue - the same could happen to someone using a legit KMS or retail key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    The sad part is I can reinstall Windows and recover my activation back up, but as soon as I log into the store, bye bye activation, hello notification mode.

17. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Yeah, I also used leaked KMS too and It's okay while I use windows update and update sound driver
    But really, just don't let MS updates and install the driver without our permission, who knows something won't work after that

18. sansini

sansini MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    So when you recovered your activation did it show as being activated again? - if you did slmgr /dlv how many days did it say for example?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    After I rebooted from safe-mode. Watermark was gone, it would let me personalize start menu and it would report Windows as activated under Computer properties.

I'm not sure about the remaining days as I've never used that command before. I would have to reinstall tomorrow to check as I'm currently running unactivated and any attempt to recover the activation again without reinstalling Windows gives no results.

20. secured2k

secured2k MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    Since logging into the store causes the problem, do you think that Microsoft banned/flagged your Microsoft Account?