Windows 8 Defender won't update

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CODYQX4, Mar 18, 2012.

1. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm running Windows 8 CP, but Windows Defender won't update its definitions and therefore nags about being out of date.

If I do Windows Update, I get 80070666 error.

I'm not sure if it is related but I noticed the issue shortly after running CCleaner with CCEnhancer, with "Remove Windows Defender Updates" enables, to which at that point I had the latest, then it wanted to download that version but at 60MB as opposed to being incremental.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
    had same problem here. i cant fix it too..
    i use now MSE 4.0 on win 8 ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    I can't tell if this is going to keep it fixed or not, but I disabled Windows Defender, went into that folder, deleted everything except Default and Updates folder, but left those 2 folders empty. I deleted the files in Default (nothing was in Updates), and opened up manual download definitions in 7Zip (one for Defender, one for network, and pasted in all files that were there before I deleted them (it would not let me direct overwrite for some reason).

Then enabled Defender, it downloaded and supposedly installed, and said "Up to date".

4. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #5 WIKIMACK, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    Hi,

i'm in dual boot whit 7 Pro.

How do install MSE 4 (beta? yes?).

for me it's impossible.

Windows Defender works for me, it's just a test.:twisted:

5. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
    MSE4 install is simple.. extract the exe setup file with 7zip...
    start then the "epplauncher.exe" with admin rights
    then it works for me ;)

for the updates (when you dont wanna install it with windows update)
    extract the update setup...
    start "epp.msi" and it works ;)

6. mustdie

mustdie MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2010
    h__p://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/windows-defender-on-windows-8-unable-to-update/8faacc60-6b74-43be-95b0-8a9d6a82b228