Windows 8 DP - Your Experience.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kido, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Kido

Kido MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Share your experiance here before any other inocent becomes the next traget of Windows 8 DP.

Here is mine:
    1.) I hate metro
    2.) I hate the default theme, Windows XP theme is better than that.
    3.) No new ICONS since Windows 7, But that was OK as there was a major change in deep inside from Vista.
    4.) Where the heck is Shutdown button?

Your experiance most welcome :biggrin5:

2. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    My experience is exactly the opposite of yours:

1. I love Metro
    2. I love the Default Theme
    3. I don't care about the icons.
    4. I know how to Shutdown Windows 8.

LOL.

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    1. i hate metro
    2.i hate default theme
    3. no new icons:weeping:
    4. i love the new file transfer thingy :clap3:

4. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I love:

1. Lock Screen
    2. Start Screen
    3. Ribbon UI
    4. Task Manager
    5. Metro UI
    6. File Transfer
    7. Conflict Dialog
    8. Aerolite Glass Theme

...and I'm now on Windows 7 Professional :clap3:

5. next

next MDL Senior Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I love:

1. metro
    2. Lock Screen
    3. boot speed
    4. file copy ui
    5. Task Manager
    6. snap
    7. reset
    8. ribbon
    9. ie10
    10.picture password

i love to if they include

1. metro file explorer in start screen
    2. new icon
    3. little change in desktop ui

6. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Hahahaha... Loved the reply!

7. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks .

8. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    kido,did you click it? :p:p:)

9. Kido

Kido MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Yeah! Just tried :p

10. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    My own opinions (some of which are rather obvious, since I've said them elsewhere).

1. Immersive - It is decidedly NOT the Windows UI you're used to (or even that I'm used to) - and that's a good thing in many ways. For the record, I've been in every Windows beta or TAP from Windows 95 out except two - Windows NT 3.5 (lack of suitable hardware) and Windows ME (I was in the NT5/2000 beta and had no desire to test ME - I *was* exposed to that awful OS via MSDN and refused to recommend it under any circumstances - not even for home use; I recommended NT5/2000 Professional instead.)

2. The StartScreen - Except for Metro applications, it's largely irrelevant for most users - even power users. Between Explorer and the Run box, the lack of a Start menu can be dealt with - rather easily.

3. Application compatibility - The biggest (and most pleasant) surprise of the Developer Preview - not a single application or game I normally run failed to work; in fact, most actually ran better in the DP than in 7+SP1. Number of previous Developer Previews or alphas with that degree of backward compatibility - none.

4. Improvements - Improvements in included applications and utilities abound - from Explorer and its Ribbon to Windows Image Mounter to Disk Optimizer. A surprising amount of housekeeping I normally use third-party software for has been rendered moot - because the base OS can handle it. (Disk Optimizer can handle disk defragmentation chores better than Diskeeper 2011 Pro Premier - which is downright frightening.)

5. Hardware compatibility and features - again, at least on par with 7+SP1. Amazingly, I didn't lose a single feature.

6. Sleep/hibernate/shutdown/recovery - all are areas where the DP trumped - rather harshly - 7+SP1.

7. Will I download/dual-boot the Consumer Preview - Yes - definitely. Given enough improvement, Windows 7 may actually be in serious trouble (at least on my desktop). I'll still be looking for a UI chooser for the stick-in-the-muds that want the Windows 7-type UI; however, I personally could care less.

11. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I think while (for me) Windows is superior than Mac....MS an delay with Beta...:p

12. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Windows 8 is a big change for what we got used too. Everyone is now like "I don't want that new interface!!" but I think we say that every single time a site or program is changing its interface.
    What I mean to say, it may look now you don't like it but you will after some weeks using it. ;)

For me, I like Windows 8 interface a lot but the WDP isn't just too small for me to make it my main OS yet. I want all the shiny metro apps. :weeping:
    Sucks I got courtship when beta comes out.. not a good time to change OS on my laptop. >.>;

13. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
    1.) I had installed it to my SSD from OCZ.. and the DP dosnt supported TRIM-Command at my pc with that SSD.. then after a few days win8 DP crashed and had alf killed my ssd...
    2.) I hate metro
    3.) I hate that i cant turn metro off without loosing all new functions (copy dialog, taskmanager)
    4.) Where the heck is Shutdown button?

14. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Windows + I

15. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    The one reason that Metro/Immersive (as a UI) won me over is that it's basically a return of Windows to its 9x/NT4 roots - uncluttered. Unless you have virtual machines running older versions of Windows, you likely have not really noticed the general cluttering up of the base Windows UI and Start menu over their seventeen years of Official Existence (eighteen if you count the 9x betas, and nearly twenty if you count the pre-alphas and alphas). Immersive, however - and especially on a non-touch desktop or portable - slaps you in the face with its minimalism.

16. elhassan

elhassan MDL Member

Dec 9, 2011
    i start use WDP from the first day microsoft lunch it...and i think it will be a great OS .... and most of ppl dont like it because they only look at the inteface..but they didnt look in news features

17. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I subscribe....and waiting for Beta....:D