Windows 8 Enterprise-N EVR Fix

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mdc, Aug 3, 2012.

1. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #1 mdc, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    For those of you who don't care about the lack of Windows Media Player, you might - however - care about the inability to use the EVR Renderer in Media Player Classic. If, like me, you were horrified to find the option greyed out when launching MPC, have no fear! A solution has already been discovered :)

Copy evr.dll from %windir%\system32 and %windir%\syswow64 on a Windows 7/8RP 64-bit install to the appropriate folders in your new install, launch an elevated command prompt and run:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\evr.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\evr.dll

Restart/launch MPC, go into options, and you'll find EVR, EVR Custom and EVR Sync all present and accounted for!

Enjoy folks :)

UPDATE: I've created a little pack for those without access to the appropriate files; these are from the non-N Enterprise SKU.
    View attachment 16217

Simply extract the folder and run the appropriate batch file (x86 or x64) as Administrator and you should be good to go!

2. bala_digital

bala_digital MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    thanx for the info

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Could just run non-N Windows :)

Maybe someone with non-N could upload evr.dll, seeing as it is not a good idea to use the Windows 7/8RP evr.dll on 8 RTM. It may work, but it would be significantly better to use the proper file :).

There are two copies of the file:
    x64:
    syswow64 (32-bit version for 32-bit apps, including MPC-HC)
    system32 (x64 64-bit version, for 64-bit apps).

x86:
    system32 (32-bit, same file as in Windows 8 x64 syswow64 folder).

You need to copy the appropriate file to the appropriate folder. You should NOT copy the x64 version into the syswow64 folder, nor copy the 32-bit version into the system32 folder on x64 Windows.

4. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
  5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Good job on that archive, I checked it out and it's set up correctly :) I'm sure all those on Enterprise-N will appreciate it!

Only thing holding me going to Windows 8 is activation.

6. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Media Player and Media Center....what a joke

VLC Media Player FTW!!! :biggrin:

No worries, no problems he he he

7. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Cheers mate :) I gotta admit, the transparent watermark is a bit annoying, as is the lack of personalization, but I suppose it's not the end of the world for the next couple of weeks :)

Only problem with VLC is that it doesn't support EVR at all! Really not a fan of it, and never have been I'm afraid... I'm a MPC man through and through :p

8. cyrilvabraham

cyrilvabraham MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    am geting this error pls help..

the module "c:\\windows\system32\evr.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005

9. cyrilvabraham

cyrilvabraham MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    its solved now...:)

10. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    That's the error you get when you don't run the cmd file as Administrator :) Will update the original post with that point so others don't have the same problem :p

11. ElBoi

ElBoi MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    i appreciate the help, thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

12. Jonny5isalivetm

Jonny5isalivetm MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi People,

I have been running enterprise N since about August now lol but sadly I have never gotten Media Player classic alive :<< I thought this was common knowledge with N versions ? How are you guys making it work VLC just aint the same :D
    and o any idea if this will ever expire ? I get the watermark sometimes but never any activation nags..

13. iriki

iriki MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2008
    WOW finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lost DAYS looking for a fix just because google hasnt rated this thread high enough, I was looking for keywords "EVR unavailable" and etc. You should change the topic to something more descriptive tbh.

And to the dude above.. try to disable UAC && install Direct-X 9.

Again, thx!!!!!