Windows 8 error 0xc004fe00

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kohht, Apr 7, 2013.

1. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    #1 kohht, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    Hi guys, I need help here regarding activation problem with Windows 8.

Firstly, this is how thing goes.

Recently, I bought a "Windows 8 Pro Media Center Pack" from local store and.. this was a big mistake.

When I got back home, I try to clean install Windows 8 for my new RIG, I found out WMC pack was only for adding feature and not for installing Windows 8 Pro.. dumb me.

Trying hard to find solution in this forum, searching high and low for fix, I came across this thread called " Creating a Windows 8 AIO with Media Center manually".

The part I did was "Create a Windows 8 Pro with media center iso only".
    Using my friends computer to do it, I got stuck in the part which need to do something with "Data.dat".

I don't really understand what it wrote there.

"Keeping the image mounted and viewing hidden files and folders take ownership of the data.dat file and then delete it in C:\win8\mount\Windows\System32\spp\store\data.dat

and replace with data.dat
    ".

After taking some time to think what does it mean, I finally came an idea of doing something that may not be right..

This is what I did.

1. Delete data.dat in C:\win8\mount\Windows\System32\spp\store\data.dat
    2. Copy my friend computer "data.dat" in his system and place into C:\win8\mount\Windows\System32\spp\store. (Copy ownership? This is what I think it mean.)

After everything was done, burn into DVD, I manage to get everything work but.. the activation just can't get it work.

Try to run cmd with admin and type slmgr /rearm, i got this message.

Error: 0xC004FE00 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004FE00' to display the error text.

Try other method like Enter New Key still doesn't work. Check the media boot install still no go. Buy Windows 8 said can't do it in current region.

Please help.

----

After searching internet about "data.dat" and little understanding of this file, here is some of the info of my friend laptop.

BIT: 64
    Other MS product: MS office 2010 with EZ-activation. " Office 2010 Toolkit "

2. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Which version of windows 8 was installed before all this mess?
    Is it branded PC\laptop that has windows 8 pre installed?

Method you are using will not work & is not genuine for bought Keys.... Go right way...

3. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    No, this PC have not install any OS. Newly build.

If you are asking about the creating of the Windows 8 pro with media center DVD, was done on a laptop which is running Windows 8 pro x64.

4. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  5. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    Sadly, I got some argument with the local shop. At first, I didn't want to buy this "WMC pack" but the sale claim that it can work even on CLEAN install. I when back to the store and had some argument. He claim that I opened the box. So there's nothing for me to do about it.

Anyway, thanks reohela.
    By the way, I never touch KMS activation before. Any risk doing that will cause damage to any system file??

6. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Last question what you bought 99$ pack or 9$ pack???

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    You can't transfer the temporary licensing store information to another computer. Each machine is licensed by hardware ID's and the perm license store is cache.dat right now you have a corrupt activation state which isn't activated or deactivated. It isn't even licensed as seen with slgmr.vbs. Your not a gray area licensing wise from my knowledge of doing this kind of stuff on purpose ;). Now I would delete data.dat and cache.dat so you can reset the activation and activate with kms.

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    He was trying the tokens swap trick, which was closed in december last year :D. It was working before that date :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    #10 hbhb, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    just a bit late I think :rasta: maybe he been smoking some ganja
    Dude, go kms route, then use u r wmc

10. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    #11 kohht, Apr 7, 2013
    (OP)
    I bought it at 89SGD.

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    I only responded to the Windows Activation Expert-Post :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    #13 kohht, Apr 7, 2013
    (OP)

I think I will just do clean install again without doing any mod to the image.
    Oh well. Just want to get things work ended up messing up. Thanks btw.

13. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008

Haha. Sure. Will update here once got it working. Right now is late here. Will do it next afternoon. :tea:

14. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    So basically you bought Windows 8 to "windows 8 pro WMC pack".... I will suggest you buy "windows 8" NOT "Windows 8 PRO" upgrade pack online.... That will cost you less & then use your "PRO WMC pack" to upgrade to pro & wmc same time...

15. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    Aww. Man.. Too late now.
    I bought a copy Windows 8 pro from local trusted store. Happy with the system now. But will keep the WMC pack since I don't really use WMC. Maybe soon or later will add into features. Thanks reohela

16. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #17 rrohela, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    You are welcome..:biggrin: But check with M$ or post at M$ blog... I don't think your "windows 8 pro WMC pack" key will work with windows 8 pro to add WMC, as pack is to update "windows 8" to "windows 8 pro with WMC".

Still you will get answer only when you try to add feature....

17. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    That is correct sir.

First you need a Windows 8 (then upgrade to Windows 8 Pro key) or Windows 8 Pro. Then you can update to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center which is kinda crappy in my opinion. I mean there are better software packages you can use hehe.

18. kohht

kohht MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    Sure. I think I won't be adding the key for WMC. Will keep it. No point for me to add as I never really use WMC. Tested in Windows 7 before which is no no for me, just can't do the job.

Maybe when I set up another RIG, will buy a copy of windows 8 and add the WMC pro pack into it. Cost saving. :cool: