Windows 8 feature: Boot to desktop without any software or a hack

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Aug 20, 2012.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I've always checked that box, it's a 100% need for me, personally; at least for each installation before I get around to re-installing Directory Opus, but it's still good to have that checked anyway.

I forget did anyone try putting a shortcut to a folder and/or to File (Windows) Explorer in the Startup folder to see if it would do the same thing? That way if you didn't purposely leave one open it would still work if MS didn't think of that and make sure it wouldn't work, but they probably did. I can't reboot or log off right now, I'm transcoding videos. :)

Of course could probably still have the Task Scheduler open Windows Explorer if it didn't work in Startup as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    #3 jassi, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    I added taskmgr to startup in task scheduler and now my PC automatically goes to desktop.However it shows the metro screen just for 2~3 seconds.
    It did not work when I added the taskmgr shortcut to startup folder.

4. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Good find... :cool:

5. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Does not work for me. Still have to click desktop tile in the metro screen. And yes, then it will show the desktop and opens the explorer window.