Windows 8 File Explorer as Administrator

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ZeroOmegaZX, Oct 23, 2012.

1. ZeroOmegaZX

ZeroOmegaZX MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    I've been reading around and experimenting only to find that getting Explorer to run as an admin is not easy, here is my problem:

- Upgraded to Win 8 on my Main computer, hooked my old Hard Drive to move data over but it won't let me in the User Directory (Win 7) without screwing with permissions.

- If I log in with ADMINISTRATOR to the Win 8 machine I can get to the folder no issue, and running as admin in my normal user marked as admin will not work

- Metro Apps do not work logged in as administrator

From what I've read UAC is on all the time no matter what unless you log in as administrator and then metro apps will not run. This is a HUGE issue for enterprise users. Is there a way to run explorer truly as Administrator?

2. ZeroOmegaZX

ZeroOmegaZX MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    Yes, performing that With Windows 8 isn't working out to well.

3. ZeroOmegaZX

ZeroOmegaZX MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    #4 ZeroOmegaZX, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    (OP)
    I was able to somewhat get this working in Windows 8. Had to take permission of the key, which I don't like doing, and now I can open an elevated Explorer from Task Manager. However this is really haphazard and MS needs to fix this. It makes file browsing more like linux. Logging in as the Administrator is pointeless since Metro apps won't work either.

When making a right click on the Explorer and select "Run as administrator" it doesn't start the Windows Explorer with admin rights. The Windows Vista/7 Explorer includes a special function to block such requests.

To disable it, start regedit.exe and go to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{CDCBCFCA-3CDC-436f-A4E2-0E02075250C2}

make a right click on Permissions and set your user as owner of the key and give your current user writing permissions.

Next, delete or rename the value RunAs. Now the Elevated-Unelevated Explorer Factory is disabled and you can start the Explorer with admin rights.

Posted Image

This helps you delete files, for which you need admin rights.

Have fun :)