Windows 8 from technet

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ser232, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ser232

ser232 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi All, I'm thinking of getting a technet subscription but i have one concern , what happens after 1 year when the subscription ends? Will the windows expire and no longer usable? Thanks

2. hclarkjr

hclarkjr MDL Member

Nov 18, 2007
    according to the new rules they implemented this year the keys will be black listed if you let your subscription expire. i have yet to hear of any getting black listed though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    never heard such BS. MS issues the option to upgrade for 14.99 or 39.99 sale for those who take the fast advantage until January for unlimited activation.
    Now, you like to tell me, that people, who pay a few hundred bucks for a Technet subscription will be blacklisted after a year and get deactivated/cannot activate with the given keys after that year. I know stupid guys who wast their money on this way... lol

4. Zanthexter

Zanthexter MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2011
    The TechNet agreement has always said that you lost the rights to use the keys if the subscription lapsed. The only thing that's changed is that Microsoft is now actively enforcing it.

It's not so much because of the folks using it to turn their home's in to a "home lab for extended evaluation" (heh), it's because people have been buying TechNet subscriptions in bulk, and selling the keys at around $25 a pop.

The changes aren't exactly beneficial for legitimate subscribers.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    We will know for sure only after expiry of subscription for all subscriptions after 16-7-2012. I took one in August 2012 and let us see what happens.
    MS wants to capture a lot of `value' that was being given away previously through cutting back on product range and service period.
    So for a consumer oriented PC, assuming a 3 year lifecycle of windows and office, the total cost to be 100% sure during three years could be $199 (new)+$300 (renewal for next 2 years) or $500.

Pretty close to buying a retail package of windows and office full suite. Of course, there are other products in technet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...