Windows 8 gaming issue [probably poor NVIDIA drivers]

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Winter, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hey guys,

Does anyone have an NVIDIA and Intel components installed in his desktop/laptop? I would like to ask about gaming performance.

My spec is:
    i5m-2430 2.4 Ghz
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    GeForce 540M 2 GB GDDR3
    Intel SSD 120 GB 330
    FullHD screen

When comparing the newest Windows 8 to Windows 7 I have to mention poor gaming performance. I tested a few games including old titles (FarCry) and early released (CS:Go) and the result is simple, Windows 8 has some performance problems, I get less fps when playing CS:Go and some weird "microstuttering", even using Vertical Sync won't help. I'm kinda dissapointed, because it was the same when Windows Vista was released, almost 10% less fps in every games. Windows 8 seems less responsive than Windows 7, only booting is a bit faster (maybe 2 seconds).

2. tranzmit

tranzmit MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2011
    issues with the drivers and not gonna lie your gaming card sucks but the ttoal opposite here heaps better gaming but i have a ivy bridge i5 3.5 ghz Quad core with a 7870 and its eats games for lunch like crysis 2 all maxed and supersampling on and everything 24 AA etc

3. -=fantômas=-

-=fantômas=- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2012
    I have GeForce GTX 260 OC (so, old one littlebit), new nVidia drivers 306.02 and have no problems with gaming performance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    I have GeForce 540M and I can run Skyrim at Ultra settings on Windows 7.
    I bet on drivers problems, maybe the integrated card (Intel HD Graphics 3000) is used by Windows 8 (disabling Optimus into the BIOS might solve the problem).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LoRd1N

LoRd1N MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    Update directx9, install .inf modded v306.02 driver, disable integrated graphics. And also CS:GO has some issues.

6. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Might not be related, but every once in awhile, I get a blue screen on boot ending with 18 and then the computer reboots and fires up perfectly fine. Only noticed this with 306.02.