Windows 8 Hardware

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by PAYMYRENT, Dec 1, 2012.

?

Would you trade up for a touch device right now?

1. You will upgrade to a touch enabled device

12.2%
  2. can't afford it.

34.1%
  3. will stay with your current display HD or not :p

43.9%
  4. Widows 8 WHY?

19.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    So i had a nice conversation with my dad and we just wanted to know if you are willing to trade up your hd monitors for a touch screen whether is be a future buy like if you are interested or you cant because of the price or you wont even consider it :D

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #2 Shenj, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Haha no way in hell, no matter how you bend it it's still pretty "toyish", it only starts to get decent with periperhals.
    A real Desktop replacement would be:

Something like a Surface Pro with Thunderbolt ports (or other solution) that allows it to be hooked up to a external GPU + external 2nd CPU (srsly.. give tablets something that works good portable but don't overkill it) and external Display
    Dock the Device into your dockstation @ home and have it turn into a REAL Desktop replacement, not some semi thing

Basicly having a Slate like a Surface that can be extended through a external solution, heck there would be much problems if such a solution is sold for something like 1999$ because it would replace a Powerful Desktop and a very useful mobile device, it's just very hard engineering work :) so it might still take several years until it finally takes off, mind you.. there is still no external Thunderbolt GPU solution sold but exists in development.

Your poll doesnt exactly line up with what you wrote in the post.
    "touch enabled device" versus "hd monitors for a touch screen" What is it? lol i would expect a Device to be a Slate or touch enabled Ultrabook etc, touch enabled 28" Desktop monitor is in many cases not so useful, might be cool to have sometimes, and actually easier to clean as all these come with edgetoedge glass, very easy to clean :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. win98_SE

win98_SE MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    I don't mind having a touch screen monitor (heh, especially to enhance my abilities to use a touch based OS), but regardless, I still need my Keyboard and Mouse... And hope it sticks by through my life.

4. andrew732

andrew732 MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2012
    #4 andrew732, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Like I said in another thread, it's seems inconceivable to me that anyone would want to use Excel, Visual Studio, Photoshop, or any serious software like that with a touch interface instead of a physical keyboard/mouse. Am I crazy? For a phone or tablet, touch is fine because you just need to roughly push buttons or slide things, but no real precision or extended keyboard use is necessary. The kids these days are amazingly fast at sending text messages with their thumbs though, I must admit.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As I use Touch screen with Tablets for a few years already, i'm use to it and like it. So that said,: YES I would upgrade, still will need the Keyboard and mouse. In the todays available AiO Computers with Touch Screen, keyboard an mouse are also used.

Many things could be done faster with touch than conventional, and I didn't talk about games, I talk about real work on computers. I know also some people who using Laptops with Touch Screens, who would have one without any more!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm good without a touch screen. When I upgrade in the future is when I'll get one; I'm in absolutely no rush to buy new hardware over a brand new fad.

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    • Windows 8 is a "Hybrid" OS
    • Desktop for "Work"
    • Metro Apps for "Play"
    You can still run Excel, Visual Studio, Photoshop etc just like you did on 7.
    If you want to work you are pretty much all the time on your Desktop, but when you want to "Play" (Play != Gaming but more like "Consume"), the latter can be done just fine on a Desktop but it's a very good expirence on a touch device, so you use Metro apps because they are designed to use for Touch. Also lets not forget "average" Consumer doesnt really have any idea how things work, the new Interface is a lot easier to use once you know how (it takes about 10-20min to teach as it's very basic but still very functional for what it was designed for).
    The only downside the new Interface for new Consumers is that it's all "hidden", so it's harder to figure out without some hints (Windows gives a hint when a User Account is created but it's really not what Microsoft should have done, it's missing a real very short Tutorial)

Without software there is no hardware, but because now there is Windows 8 you will see pretty much all devices comming with touch next year, Windows 8 might not be relevant to many current Desktop users, but Windows 8 will be very relevant to many that buy Hardware that was clearly designed for Windows 8.

One should not force hes own Viewpoint on others as everyone has a different use case, it's like Vista, but Windows 8 isn't a Vista in terms of Performance.
    If Vista came 2 years later, there would have been less bad talk about it, because Vista was not very optimized for any old hardware and even "new" hardware back then was actually not soo good. (Original Vista is still quite a disaster the Service Packs for it fixed pretty much all of the slowness of Vista)

You have the same problem with Windows 8 now, but not because it's slow, but because it offers functionality that hardware is not utilizing today.
    Two 2 Years from now and it's a complete different story because Hardware is hopefully where it needs to be for Windows 8 to shine, ofc we won't have Windows 8 on 2 years but ofc a newer version of Windows 8.

One can't make everyone happy, everyone has different needs.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's brand new for those who never used Touch Screens before!:rolleyes: As I wrote, I'm use to it since a few years already and it has it's own advantages!:cool:

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Not having experienced touch (apart from my fone) can't really give unbiased opinion but no I'm not in a hurry to "upgrade" - don't see any real advantage.

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    By upgrade I assume you mean a new monitor or replacement device (laptop). No, I will never need a touch screen for a computer I use while sitting at a desk, My laptop is new and no need to replace it.

That said, I will probably by an 8 pro surface within the next year.

11. JBlade

JBlade MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2012
    I use my computer mostly for programming so I don't have a real use for a touch screen. The answer is, then, no.

The surface sure looks neat. If only it had the power of a laptop I may have tried it as a laptop, again, I don't have much use for a touch screem.

12. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    thats looks like what im going to do. get the surface pro to mess around on. and use the desktop to write software. as of now i can navigate win 8 with no problems

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    A cool input for the desktop would be a bluetooth tablet like device that shows the desktop and allows touch input. It would work great until I lost it in the couch or some such nonsense.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As the Surface Pro will run native PC Desktop Apps, there shouldn't be no problem for to do just that! There a lot Remote Control Apps out there which will do the job and also Remote Desktop from MS!

15. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    but do they do the whole full touch like input with the gestures and all that? i havent seen it yet lol unless they did it in Remote Desktop

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What you could do with Mouse, you could do with Touch! Not as accurate because the "pointer" size is much bigger but I don't think that you would intensive graphic works on an Tablet!

17. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #17 Shenj, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    He has a valid point, even though there is a Metro Desktop Remote app in the Store for RTM...

How would you use Windows 8 Metro over Remote Desktop while using Windows 8 Metro? (you get it? lol) If you do Remote Desktop, you obviously want your input to get redirected to the Remote App, but if you Swipe on your W8 device you get the System Controls of your own device instead of the Remote Desktop if it doesnt block the local input, but if it blocks the local input (im sure it doesnt) how switch out.
    Do you own a Touch Device and did try to connect to a W8 machine and use Metro like you would on your Device? (with Swipes etc)

I don't have one so it's hard to test.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use RAdmin 3.4 at the moment because is the latest version, in real I use RAdmin since Version 2. I hardly use Remote Desktop and never Swipe. In RAdmin I use the input device of my Controller machine for to access and work on the remote computer. On an Lenovo AiO with Touch screen, I could control the remote uusing the Touch screen with no problems. I haven't found an good Remote Control Apps for Android yet so I couldn't use my P90 Tablet for that till now. I used that Lenovo for to test by one of my Suppliers and that test went just well.

As I wrote, the only down point is the Pointer size, which is even on the Lenovo smaller than on my Android Tablet. EWvery action done from within the Lenovo's Touch screen, were done with my fingers.

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #19 Shenj, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    You completly dodged the question, it's not about simple Touch input, it's about the Swipe (Edge) Controls of Windows 8 on a Remote machine, you get it? Do Edge Gestures even work on remote desktop or any other remote software without bringing up the Controls of your own OS (Charms Bar, App Switcher, Top/Bottom control swipe, Close App, move app etc.. it's all edge swipes based on touch)

20. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I did NOT bring in Swipe, that were you! I wrote about RAdmin! And that I'm able to control Windows 8 Using A Touch Screen on an Lenovo AiO PC, which works well with no Problems. Those also includes of using the Charms bar etc. That I also didn't has less time to use it for long, because I used to test run by one of my suppliers. Period!

Go to an place here you could get access to such computer which Touch input and do the test as YOU need on your own and you'll have your answers, if the owner of that machine let you all do what you want include install other apps.

And I would also suggest that you specify clearly what you like to know because Swipe has different meanings and to get directly to the point, you need to explain what for!