Windows 8 is a major backward step

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Pendaws, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Pendaws

Pendaws MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    Today I was changing a video card on a customer's system and Iput the drivers in, removed the OLD drivers (they are different cards, 1 ATI and the other Nvidia). I restatred the machine and the ***ken thing would NOT start the GUI at all. I tried all the normal fixes but the restore feature wouldn't work as the HDD was locked and so, I had to do a new install.

i know I should have done a backup but this was a rush job and now the Customer will have to re install his apps, RELLY annoying. I think MS should have left well enough alone with WIN 7.

End Rant.... :jumpon::mad:

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I hate to burst your bubble, but you would have had the same problem with Win7.

3. Pendaws

Pendaws MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    MMMmmm maybe ?
    I guess it is my own fault anyway. Just frustrating.. :(

4. SciFighter

SciFighter MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Not sure where your getting that Info from murphy78, he would not have had the issue on win 7 if it was a mobo or a cpu he was swapping out for a new one sure a reinstall would have been required. To swap vid cards in and out though won't cause win 7 not to boot or show the gui and he put the drivers in before hand as well. Win 7 would have saw the card and booted up even if it would have just been generic vid card drivers with a display that would not have been the optimal one till he added in the cards drivers.

I have intel and amd machines here I also have nvidia and ATI cards that I swap in between the machines all the time on win 7 for benchmarking we do and I have never seen win 7 not boot even if the card is bran new and I am going from nvidia to ati it would make no difference.
    [h=2][/h]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pendaws

Pendaws MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    Thanks Matey, though Murphy is partly right. I should have backed up but, rush rush did me in. My major problem now is that the ATI driver keeps crashing :(

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Had the same problem on windows 8 with crashing ati driver don't use the newer ones on windows 8 use for example 13.4 version that worked in my case

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I only say that because I've had the same problem happen to me on Win7.
    Perhaps there's a more thorough way of removing one of those old cards that doesn't result in these dumb catastrophes.
    Maybe if he removed the software from safe-mode?
    I dunno. I'm a magnet for those driver issues too. I always seem to have to re-format when it comes to graphics cards or motherboards.

8. SciFighter

SciFighter MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    #8 SciFighter, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    Your also a bit right when it comes to the drivers I mean its not like nvidia or ATI has ever given us bad ones lol kinda reminds me of the vid watching Linus Torvalds of Linux giving the big old finger to nvidia and the big FU to them after lol

I have never seen things lock up on win 7 though like the HDD and such with not the right vid drivers usually you would get into boot and up to desktop with a messed up display cause it would just be on generic drivers but I could also say anything is possible if when the OP was removing the drivers or like what happened to yourself they had some shared dlls or something that were removed with them the system needed I could see that happening.

Sounds like endbase had the right solution as still most drivers for the os are beta so they could have mushed up the works and locked the HDD think for as long as I have used computers I can say anything is possible I have seen many head scratchers in my time too lol