Windows 8 is stuck on boot! Can't recover, restore, or anything else! Need HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LewisSon, Apr 14, 2013.

1. LewisSon

LewisSon MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    Laptop Information- HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Well, yesterday night, everything was going good until I tried to download League Of Legends on my laptop. I was multi-tasking on facebook, youtube, and a whole other stuff while my laptop was downloading League Of Legends, and then the whole laptop frooze and then I panicked and pressed the power button a couple times. When the laptop booted back up, it was all black and nothing happend. I was searching online and pressed the F11 button to try and restore the laptop and it did work and I also got into windows 8. It was lagging and very slow when I booted into windows 8, and so I just decided to shutdown the laptop and try to refresh and reset the laptop from boot. However the automatic recovery didn't work and couldn't repair the laptop. When I was refreshing and reseting the laptop, it wouldn't finish all the way, because it would stop at like 60% and then just stop and freeze. Now, I think I messed up a bit and now I can't boot into Windows 8 or even RESET,RESTORE,or REFRESH. Also I just dod a diagnostic check on UEFI, and my Hard Disk Short DST has failed, so I think that I need to replace my hard disk. RIGHT NOW, MY LAPTOP BOOTS THIS SCREEN DOWN HERE
    RECOVERY
    Your PC needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation
    media(like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer

Press Enter to try again
    Press F8 for Startup Settings
    Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings
    Press F9 to use a different operating system
    All these options won't work because it will just loop back to this screen that I just showed you.
    Please Help Me Fix This Laptop!

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LewisSon

LewisSon MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    okay, still it loads up the same boot thing, and how would I use the HDD Regenerator if i can't get into Windows 8?

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    you will need another pc to create a bootable cd/dvd/usb to boot the laptop too, to work on it.

This is a good example of why emergency recovery disks should be created. Most people simply ignore the prompts when asked for creating them, including myself. I didn't always and had to learn the hard way. Now I create a bootable restore disk that contains tools as well as the recovery to repair.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 pisthai, Apr 14, 2013
    I can give you a link to an working ISO (1.8MB) which will run from CD/DVD/USB Stick bootable directly into the apps.

PM me if you want, I could not post the Link at the public forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #6 hack, Apr 14, 2013
    Your symptoms do seem to point to HDD failure, I would suggest if the data has value, that your first step be to create a Disk Image of the corrupt HDD before attempting anything else.

If the corrupt data is isolated to for example the registry hives, HDD Regenerator MAY help you but it pretty much depends on the nature of the corruption.

You will need in most cases access to a 2nd working computer to create recovery media, some useful bootable media would be:
    HDD Regenerator as mentioned.
    Your Windows 8 Installation Media.
    Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)
    Your HDD Manufacturers Bootable Diagnostics Media (Sea-tools etc.)

If your HDD passes diagnostics and your problem is only registry corruption windows does backup your registry files:
    C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack
    Google restoring your registry.

As in most cases it depends on your level of proficiency, if Googling the solution creates more questions you should really look @ paying someone to do the job.
    If your HDD is failing running multiple diagnostic test on it is not the best idea if you have no backup (Disk Image).

EDIT:
    If you have done diagnostics on your HDD and still have start-up issues you may be lucky just booting from your Windows 8 Installation Media and using the Automatic Repair or the System Restore.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Unlike most of the other tools, HDDReg didn't need to be installed and will work regardless of format and/or partitioning of the dd, it didn't "touch" any existing data! That's one of the reason that the success rate is high for HDDReg. From my own experiences over quite some years, those success rate is 80+%, may not for an 100% repair but to get all existing data out, while in most cases also the repair is working 100% correct. One of the services my company doing is Data Recovery from damaged Storage devices. The first step of any recovery is the use of HDDReg of we own an Corporate License.

8. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #8 hack, Apr 14, 2013
    While I agree with you on HDD Regenerator being a useful tool, no tool is always going to work with HDD recovery.

If the HDD is showing symptoms of hardware failure (unreadable sectors) it is standard operating procedure to attempt a full Disk Image BEFORE attempting recovery.

Running HDD Regenerator is taxing on a failing HDD and may escalate the recovery to a full blown data recovery ($1000+).

I have saved my clients plenty by initially running Acronis Backup and Recovery with sector by sector and ignore read errors.
    It may add some time but you have a mountable disk image to fall back on.
    It really depends on how valuable the data is and how much you are prepared to risk.

Same solution just trying to minimise the risks.

EDIT:

If I were to guess the OP more than likely has a Seagate HDD

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Acronis, Hm......?!

I don't know any pro who's using Acronis Recovery Apps anymore after an initial use, include myself! I also believe you never had work with the corporate version of HDDReg. IT works a bit different that the normal public version which you could buy for 99 bucks.

A full data recovery would cost by us 400 bucks instead of 1000++! We charging in case of success only, ex transportation cost's which the customer has to pay anyway.

You have your way how to works and as longs as that's fine for you and your clients, it's fine. And so there we've our way.