Windows 8 Keyboard Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HSChronic, Apr 6, 2012.

1. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I thought I would start a list of Keyboard shortcuts in Win8 and what they do. Feel free to post old ones (not stupid s**t like control-v), and new ones.

Windows Key Shortcuts

Win-X (this used to be mobility center on Win7 laptops, it has now evolved into a built in quick task launch list)
    Win-C (Black side bar with start, devices, search, etc)
    Win-M (minimize all windows)
    Win-D (Show Desktop)
    Win-F (Search Files)
    Win-H (Share, I think this is like to share music and stuff in Metro apps doesn't seem to work from desktop)
    Win-K (Devices, Mine just says Second Screen)
    Win-L (Lock Screen)
    Win-Q (Search Apps)
    Win-W (Search Settings)
    Win-E (My Computer)
    Win-R (Run)
    Win-U (Ease of Access)
    Win-I (Settings Screen)
    Win-P (Second Screen Options)
    Win-1 thru 0 (Launch Pinned Item #1 on the Taskbar, for most people this is explorer, #2 second item, and so on and so forth)

Feel free to post any new ones you may have learned. I can tell you knowing these has made my Win8 experience a lot better, I still find the start screen useless without a whole lot of Metro Apps, but those will come.

2. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    thnx for the list. a few more:

Win+PrntScr
    - Automatically saves screenshot in Users Pictures folder
    Win+Tab - Shows Metro apps switcher screen
    Ctrl+Tab – Launches All Apps list on Start Screen

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    awesome page!! Going in my bookmarks for sure.

4. Nevember

Nevember MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2007
    #5 Nevember, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    Good stuff, HSChronic!

The Windows 8 CP Hotkey bug must be going around... I compiled a huge spreadsheet of them last weekend (used the one linked by @alien2xx as a base, then added from MS websites and personal research). Available as Excel or PDF; If you'd like it, see the attachments to this post. :)

Warning: My list is pretty all-inclusive (including "stupid s**t like control-v" :p). See the OP for a concise list of some of the most useful and, perhaps, lesser known.

There was also one posted at TechRepublic today (forgot about the 20-posts-to-post-hyperlinks thing): techrepublic.com/downloads/cheat-sheet-100-windows-keyboard-shortcuts/4165829

Edit:
    Agreed about the uselessness of Metro apps. Can't wait to see what developers start doing with them once Win8 goes gold. Start Screen became much more useful for me after I just deleted everything from it, re-pinned from scratch, and then labeled each group as I saw fit. I bound the WIN keypress to one of the buttons on my G700 mouse; Start Screen navigation, and hybrid kb/mouse navigation w/ hotkeys became quite snappy. :)

Attached Files:

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    thanks an excel spreadsheet is awesome. The PDF viewer in Windows needs some work still :(

6. Nevember

Nevember MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2007
    Truly! I like FoxitReader, myself.

7. Gabriel023

Gabriel023 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Windows 8 Keyboard Shortcuts LIST

To understand a lot easier. :)