Windows 8 Mail Unable to Connect with Gmail Using IMAP

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by generalsu, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I have search the forums, and found no one with this issue.

I am trying to use the Windows 8 Mail app to connect my gmail account. I tried to add Google and Other Accounts, but all failed to connect. For Other Accounts I was using IMAP. I have also checked and made sure my gmail account is IMAP enabled. I also believe I have the latest version of the Windows 8 Mail app.

I understand that Google has disabled EAS support, but I am sure Google still supports IMAP.

Anyone else with the same problem using Windows 8 Mail app?

2. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    That's what I said. I only use IMAP with Gmail, and it doesn't work. I reinstalled Windows 8, and Mail still cannot connect to my gmail account.

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Choose "other" and not "gmail" and then enter all the gmail imap info into the account settings of the mail app to get it to sync.

4. HarshMDL

HarshMDL MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    Same issue

I am also having the same issue and i am also unable to use/sync windows mail app. i think there is some issue with the proxy server i am using to access the intenet.

are you also using any proxy server to access internet?

5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I tend to forget that MS did update the mail app, maybe that is all that is needed to get it working again, update it. I know prior to that, when google dumped EAS the only way to get it working was to use "other". I really don't use it but set it up just to see how the app worked lol.

Just a side note: Calendar is another issue altogether. That too can be added and sync with Google Calendar, but it requires you to go to your MS account and import (subscribe) the private link from google for your ical into it, and then you will get it on the Win8 app. Unless that has been updated as well, I do use Calendar and set it up back in March and it still works today.

7. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Not sure about calendar,because I circumvented the problem at the time by adding my Outlook account on my android devices (as 'corporate' accounts,lol) so I could sync events between my devices. By the way,the joke is that when Google stopped supporting EAS,the easiest way for me to get gmail syncing again was just to deselect 'sync contacts and calendar' when first setting up the account (I'm fairly certain,the 'update' just hid this option altogether XD)

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    it's always something lol