Windows 8 Media Center: Dolby Digital Sound Causing Muted Channels and Old Recordings

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by artyzipp, Nov 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. artyzipp

artyzipp MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2012
    #1 artyzipp, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Hey folks,

I updated to W8 and MCE this weekend, and at first all was well. About a day after the install, I got a message that Windows detected new tuner cards and wanted to run the setup...i thought oh well, and ran the setup from scratch, and then things went downhill.

At first only 3 of the 20 channels were showing (now all 20 are there), but now I have an issue with the sound. Channels are pushing my Onkyo receiver to broadcast in Dolby Digital mode (this never happened in Windows 7). This would be great if it all sounded okay, but it has caused a few channels to be muted, and now none of my old tv recordings will play with sound. If I am in the menu of MCE, the sound is 5ch Stereo, and then selecting a channel converts the sound to dolby digital and then the sound drops off. Any ideas or suggestions?

My receiver is an Onkyo and I have the digital connection from the tv going to the receiver.

2. artyzipp

artyzipp MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2012
    I was able to solve this last night. Apparently my Realtek HD AUdio and HDMI Audio devices were competing with each other. I disabled the Realtek completely and it solved the problem.