Windows 8 Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by demon148, Oct 30, 2012.

1. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I was really looking forward to receiving my WMC key from Microsoft, to finally get to use WMC on the Xbox from my Windows 8 computer.
    After trying some movies on it, I have to say I am really disappointed, some movies are severely pixelated, you can see blocks of pixels, others are completely unwatchable.

I know its not the movies, because they played through Windows 7 media center just fine and they play through the Xbox Dashboard just fine.

When watching the same movie on my Windows 8 PC they are bad as well, but watching them through Xbox Video or Windows Media Player, they play great.

Therefore there must be something wrong with WMC in Windows 8 to be causing this.

Has anyone had similar problems?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Your video card driver should have the latest driver for W8

3. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    The Video Card is a Nvidia 9200 onboard, it has the latest Nvidia drivers installed which is the 306.97 version.

I always make sure that I have the latest drivers for anything, before I install, re-install etc.

4. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Anyone....

5. wolf69

wolf69 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    why even bother with media center to play it when all u have to do is right click on the movie and it play to xbox 360

6. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Best thing to do to debug Media Center is to switch to the 64 bit version of Media Player temporarily and get the Minimum amount of high quality codecs for what you need. (CoreAVC and CoreAAC were good dunno if they yet have a W8 version though.)

Those LAF Filters are supposed to be ok also. (Only install the 64 bit ones then check with media center - once you have checked all is well with regards to codecs switch back and all will be working.)

If that is still not reliable you can use another computer somewhere else on the network to convert from mkv to wtv.

When it comes to the people I know most of them are too lazy to get WMC working properly.

7. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    My computer is in my home office, nowhere near my Xbox, it would be a pain, to run in click on a movie and send it to the Xbox.

8. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    its not that I am lazy, I had no problems with Windows 7's Media center, everything worked fine, but since getting it for Windows 8 with everything but the OS the same, its odd that's all.

9. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    #9 demon148, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    (OP)
    I have managed to get Media Center on PC to play the files properly without any pixels, like before, I did as mentioned about using 64 bit codecs and the LAV codecs.

The problem I am having now, is that its still not working properly on the Xbox 360's Media Center part.

Through what I did, it the picture quality is far better, but its still not as good as it was with Media Center on Windows 7.

10. demon148

demon148 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    What would be the best codec pack to use? I have used CCCP for a few years now, never had a problem, I am now using Shark007 32bit and 64bit codecs.