Windows 8 Metro Apps lack basic functions?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by donalgodon, May 24, 2013.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Why do the Metro style apps lack so many basic functions?

I've noticed that the Photo app, for example, doesn't allow you to do much other than view images. No share, no crop, no edit features. Nothing.

News cannot share, copy, etc.

Am I just missing these features?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #2 PaulDesmond, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    consider most of these apps are for free. What you get for free? > only little functionality. If you go to store and BUY apps, then you have more functions.
    They put the worm on the hook and when someone gets hungry > $ for MS and the developers :D

3. eydee

eydee Guest

Solution:
    1. Click on desktop tile.
    2. Install GIMP.
    3. Have fun.

4. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    In photos, via right click, I have:

Set as

Delete

Rotate

Yes, the dreadfully hidden charms include share via email and skydrive, but that's it.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's exactly why I didn't even have checked those Apps at Store any more!! I haven't found anything useful!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    1. Be sure that u have installed the app updates. 2. Not all formats have the same options, .jpg: Set as, Delete, Rotate, Crop. As I said, if u need more editing tools there are good apps in the store. The picture viewer on the desktop doesn't even have crop and its options are print and send as email, so it was very basic too. I'm not sure what are u trying to do, there are desktop and modern apps for full photo editing.

7. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Realistically, I am stunned that Micro$oft doesn't seem to have a clue about how the average person might use their computer. Does anyone here have any experience using any other OS, like Mac OS or a decent Linux distro? Functions like these are literally "out of the box," and even the bundled free apps on both Mac and Ubuntu or Mint or whatever Linux have far advanced and easily accessible features that totally destroy the utterly feeble attempt at a desktop app that the metro experience brings.

It's an absolute embarrassment that the company spent so much money and time developing Windows 8 only to produce something like this.

Yes, I mean, I worked around these issues, but I'm trying to imagine a new customer jumping into a computing experience like this.

Even the basic/bundled apps with Windows 7 had more features!

8. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    It would surprise u. I, that have daily contact and interaction with users the most part of the day, get the most complains, tantrums and mistakes (that I have to fix) from the so called "experienced" users. From the average joe I get questions, yes, but the problems has been very few. The troublemakers are the ppl that believe they have computer knowledge and then make the biggest dramas ever because they can't see the start button, for example.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The semi-wannabe 'experts' are the worst.

10. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    So, be honest, are you happy with the level of basic function that the newer metro apps have in comparison to the default Windows 7 apps? I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's just true!

For MS it's a logic move to run the Store, based on the infos about the success of the Apple Stores! It has me already wonder that MS had need that much time to start it's own store. At the moment MS is just the last company who opened such store, Apple, Google, Android had done such already for a few years, why MS has to stand out of that?! And MS is going the same way as those others: first bring out the cheapo stuff and after that, while receiving the good and bad feedbacks, going ahead with the real needed stuff!

Let wait and see what will come out of the MS-Fastfood-Kitchen!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    So, maybe they'll get things on par with Windows 7 or Linux by the time Windows 9.2 rolls out.