Windows 8 - Multiple Crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by littledebbie, Dec 23, 2012.

1. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I took the plunge like many of you did and went ahead with a clean install of Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with a valid/legal license key. I came from Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit.

I downloaded all Windows updates...installed the missing drivers from the manufacturer's website which specified they had new Windows 8 versions of the drivers...etc etc.

I have experienced multiple crashes on Windows 8 and not once had my machine crash with Windows 7. It's extremely irritating. I understand my computer is about 4 years old, but according to the hardware vendors for my video card, sound card, etc. everything is Windows 8 compatible with the driver update.

Have any of you guys noticed Windows 8 crashing, even on clean installs? I will get error messages upon shutting down, and just a minute ago my computer wouldn't start up...upon rebooting again, it gave me a message saying that the computer failed to start...it eventually came up, but wtf?

I am getting used to Windows 8..I don't particularly like it for a desktop, but I like using the latest software.

What are you guys noticing? Have you guys heard anything about Nvidia drivers crashing the computer, or HT Omega Striker drivers crashing with Windows 8?

What's the latest news out there...anyone have any insight?

Thank you!!!

2. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    Can't say much though, everything is and was fine here, no crashes, no hangs ... none!

How about just let Windows 8 decide which driver to be installed. Lay your fingers away for a while from installing those new drivers and observe its behavior. But first, you need to do a clean install again to experiment with it.

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Same here, Clean install of W8, let W8 install the drivers & updates. Didn't even need to install the USB 3.0 driver as W8 installed that too for me.
    IMO I would stick w/ the native W8 drivers as suggested above.

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Manually installed drivers for mainboard (AMD 870 chipset), realtek sound device (R2.70) and graphics card (gtx 570, Forceware 310.70). Drivers for USB 3.0 were installed via Windows Update.
    No problems here :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Fast-007

Fast-007 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    what kind of crash is it? Blue Screen Of Death, or just freeze your screen?

do you use a dual boot or just Windows 8 ?

6. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    I would recommend going with inbuilt Windows 8 drivers, As manufacturers often hurry up with support for the new OS without first ironing out the bugs, I had some problems with updating newest drivers from manufacturer support site, and only resolved it by sticking to inbuilt Windows 8 drivers ...Try a clean install and disable driver software update from Windows Update..Hopefully, it might work for you.

Cheers :D

7. ruyzalim

ruyzalim MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    crashed may be due to anti virus instalation like avg or other anti virus software

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Really: How you could expect help if you didn't post ALL Details incl. the log files which give more infos?

What you posted is like a 1001 Night story without any true backing! We are just people like you (hopefully) and not Magicans or Prophets (who may could give you an answer). So, please post details!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    No crashes here:D its so smooth and more responsive than win7:worthy: