Windows 8 no updates besides Defender Definitions?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by djjonastybe, Sep 3, 2012.

1. djjonastybe

djjonastybe MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    Is it normal I am only receiving Windows Defender updates ?

Or don't we receive updates for Windows 8 because there are simply none ?

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I haven't has any, dont know if thats because its not activated or not though.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. -=fantômas=-

-=fantômas=- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Windows Update for Windows 8 don't work yet, except Definition Update for Windows Defender.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Not true at all!!!!
    I have so far had these additional updates, 2 atheros Bluetooth, Silverlight, Silverlight security update, security update for Visual C++, update for Outlook 2013.

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Updates for the OS itself will come then it is GA in october. Why release patches now for the very few people that have it while you can test longer if you wait. They still have some time before the masses jump on it.

7. -=fantômas=-

Aug 10, 2012
    Yeah, Silverlight, Office apps, others apps, some drivers... OK, i had them too. But still no updates, security updetes for OS Windows 8. Not yet. This is what i mean.

8. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the public aren't even supposed to be running windows 8 until October.

9. -=fantômas=-

Aug 10, 2012
    Yep, i think the same.

10. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #10 Rock Hunter, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    There are a lot of people using the trial version now in addition to MSDN and Technet users. These are decisions-makers. These are the people who will make recommendations to their companies about whether to update or not update. I'm surprised that Microsoft isn't working hard to get bug fixes out to these early users. (That was my 100th post and my rank just changed from MDL Junior Member to MDL Member. Yipee!).

11. xpvista7ubuntu

xpvista7ubuntu MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2012
    the only 2 updates i recieved was the intel graphics driver & windows defender!!!

windows 8 is a blunder!!!:blowup:

12. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Maybe it's because Windows 8 RTM is perfect and doesn't need any updates.

:iamaliar:

13. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I never got any driver updates :( I wish i did.

14. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I got only windows defender and one sound card updates.I believe this is not the final build. MS will make a lot of changes to RTM before public launch and then give the final version to all.

15. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    That doesn't matter because it is already officially released for MSDN/TechNet/VL/OEM customers.

There haven't been any security updates for Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 either, since August 14, and chances are that those were already implemented in the Windows 8 branch.

At this time there just aren't any updates.

16. sendblink23

sendblink23 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    #16 sendblink23, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    We are using the final, that is what RTM means(as in its ready for the manufactures to make their adjustment for their branding, pre-installed machines ready for mass distribution)... there are no actual Win 8 updates because you won't see them until it goes Public in October. The very exact thing we saw it during Windows 7 RTM.

17. luis3007

luis3007 MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2012
    There will be no new versions of Windows 8, RTM is the final one. OTOH there will be updates, just as the RP got over a dozen core updates. Remember that it takes time to develop and test patches for something as complex as Windows 8 and the few people that already have it are not enough to merit bug fixing yet, perhaps by the next month there will be enough. Also all Metro programs will be updated only through the Windows Store :D

18. beergas

beergas MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    On Win 8 x64 Pro got some of mentioned ones. Signed up for Updates of MS products check but before that it sent the Kb Mouse
    combo Center. It tried to install a Brother printer drive but no go. Just have basic function till Brother pumps one out in
    Jan. they say. So Hide for that. Prob MS Update will push that. Got Defender & offer of Silverlight (ignored for now).
    Update didn't offer anything for the Outlook 2013 yet, activated the good tool-server way. That's the T and S method for those
    using that one. Nuf said. All in all not bad move from W 7 x64, Outlook 2010, IR 9. Do have stuff backed up because tried
    Win Update but that just left crippled legacy stuff mixed in with new ones. Things like the .PST wouldn't come over nor WLM
    msgs & rules. Backed up to cloud & DVD for recall. Couldn't access internal 2T HD until messed in Safe Mode w/ Security
    options to grant access. Till then could only read HD in save mode or with a third party explorer Q-Dir. Access frozen seems
    to be a MS method to restrict access even in Admin mode until pass on active status stuff to get HD use. Might apply to some
    externals per google postings. People freak about 'losing' external HD or USB thumb. Ya'd thunk at least when doing the
    Upgrade way you still have access to your own product of an internal HD. But no, MS Uber Alles.
    Anyway no in use freezes yet like would get from W 7 ,esp if did any o/c of cpu icore 7. Haven't tried that yet. later.

19. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    Microsoft update every 2nd Tuesday of the month, its called patch Tuesday

20. rajkabul

rajkabul MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    I already have 26 Updates installed so far. Here is the snapshot:
    2012-11-16 21 48 45.jpg