Windows 8 OEM Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by emmanuele, Nov 3, 2012.

1. emmanuele

emmanuele MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    Hello All,

I purchased a new laptop with comes with Win 8 x64,

I tried a Dual Boot with Windows 7 x64, followed these steps:

1.- Dual Boot as the old way, install older OS first then Win 8
    2.- Backup Win 8 license number XXXXX-X~~~ (using AIDA64 software because the laptop comes with no COA sticker!!)
    3.- Disable Secure boot to boot from the DVD (with secure boot there is no boot with another media options)
    4.- From Win 7 DVD I created two partitions (one for each OS)
    4.- After successfully install Win 7 for partition 1 boot from Win 8 x64 MSDN untouched burned ISO image.
    5.- For my surprise at the beginning of the installation the Win 8 wizard auto detects my OEM key, and a message like this appears: "there is no windows 8 image that matches your key, please use another key" there is no option to chance the key, and I dont have another option to continue with the installation........

I try the following in search of solutions:

1.- Boot from Win 8 x86 untouched MSDN burned Iso and the same message appears,
    2.- Enable secure boot - it does not work because you cannot boot from DVD (obviously) and with this options starting with win 7 becomes inaccessible.

I run out of ideas, any help with be appreciate,

Regards!!

Emmanuel

2. paul44

paul44 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I flat out refuse to buy any Windows 8 hardware until this is worked out. I cant think of ONE thing the OP has not done that I would have!

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Ah, you're right; I got that wrong.
    In that case, was it perhaps the MSDN volume release you've used, and your OEM version was "Core"? "Core" is only in the retail release, and not the volume one.

5. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    You don't say which edition is in the MSDN ISO -vs- which edition is pre-installed on the new laptop. Do the editions match (aside from keys/activation method)?

Could you use the pre-installed win8 system instead?

Maybe try shrinking the pre-installed win8 partition making room for a win7 partition. If you can't install directly to that partition, install it to another hard drive and image it over, then see if win8 dvd (repair mode) can find both OS and update the boot manager.

We need to figure out if there is some way to make any DVD image match the key.

Anyway, this sounds pretty miserable. I think I'd rather almost find a way to kill the win8 pre-installed license in the eufi/dmi (or wherever it is in hardware) and use a retail key. How ironic, mod bios to add activation in win7, mod eufi/dmi to kill it in win8.

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #7 Shenj, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    which would be
    Code:
    en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso
    en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso 
    for en-US

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Can you please check with this if there is any MSDM table with a key??

8. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    according to this post it seems msdn iso won't work... oem images of win 8 are different

9. emmanuele

emmanuele MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    #10 emmanuele, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    (OP)
    My MSDN isos are the "core" ones,

I already erase the preinstalled OS as stated on my first topic, also a 10 GB hidden partition (system recovery I think), and another 2 weirds partitions (one with label "UEFI" on it, an another one I guess the equivalent to the windows 7 100 mb partition with boot files.

anyways I tried: rip off the two partitions (with win 7 dvd) and left the disk as unallocated space, boot again with win 8 dvd and getting the same result....

An important thing: the message appears at the beginning of the installation! before I can select a hard drive to install it, accept the licence terms, etc,,,

the laptop didn't come with a recovery disc (only the recovery partition |¬¬|) as now I lose any chance to install win 8 in a computer that comes with windows 8 LOL!! :eek::mad:

Imagine this scenario: you brought a new pc, the HD gets broken you lose the option to install windows 8 forever,,,:busted_red:,

I will check tomorrow going to sleep now zzzz

hmm.... in that case I will burn a new dvd with the "ei.cfg hack" using :

[Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

to see if a miracle happens :shisha:

10. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    I believe only one way... to contact laptop manufacturer for reinstallation

11. das1996

das1996 MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't have a solution for your problem, but have a suggestion to avoid your headache in the future for others.

BACKUP/IMAGE the factory load before doing anything to the machine. Acronis or equivalent should be suitable for this. This way you can always revert the machine back to an out of box state.

12. rlc

rlc MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    #13 rlc, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    you might want to try an advanced install way like this. ;)
    (I assume you've gotten w7 install done with 40G+ non-partitioned free space left for w8)

1. boot your MSDN w8 dvd
    2. press shift+F10 at the end of boot process
    3. type the following commands into the cmd window popped up
    * diskpart
    * list disk
    * select disk 0 (please check the output of list disk if not disk 0)
    * create part pri size=40960 (I suppose you want to use 40G of the space to install w8 from the total free space left from w7 install, change the number otherwise)
    * assign
    * active
    * format quick
    * detail part (check the letter assigned to the drive from the output of detail part)
    * quit (go back to cmd)
    * bootsect /nt60 e: /mbr (if e is the drive letter, or change it accordingly)
    * d: (change to w8 install dvd drive)
    * cd source
    * x:Dism /apply-image /applydir:e:\ /imagefile:install.wim /index:1 (if e is the drive just created)
    * bcdboot e:\windows (if e is the drive just created)
    * wpeutil reboot

13. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    I've tried to deploy a clean Win8 install and activated successfully on an OEM purchased machine, looks like you have to find out the key which stored in firmware by using RW-everything as Tito mentioned. (Install RW everything and go to ACPI-->MSDM table. you'll find the key.)

Also, be sure the Win8 version match with the one pre-installed on your new laptop. If you are not able to bypass the key during installation, try imagex and then skip the step of key inputting during OOBE.

14. emmanuele

emmanuele MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    Tito, I use the RW here's a screenshot: lol.jpg the key matches with the one that I backup with the AIDA64 software.....

I will try installing with the ei.cfg
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]
    if the same result I will try rlc's method

~~~~

15. emmanuele

emmanuele MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    the image got resized... here a mirror .. http :// i48.tinypic.com/2yo225x.png

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  17. emmanuele

emmanuele MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    There you go:

Product Key : XXXXX-~~
    Validity : Valid
    Product ID : 00179-40160-99356-AAOEM
    Activation ID : 71f411ae-7b4b-41bd-b68c-c519c499f950
    Edition Type : CoreSingleLanguage
    Description : Win 8 RTM CoreSingleLanguage OEM:DM
    Edition ID : X18-15555
    Key Type : OEM:DM
    Crypto ID : 1794

18. emmanuele

emmanuele MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    Here are the news:

Installing Win 8 x64 core with ei.cfg skips that message and I was able to install windows, after the install on first log in (when you create your account etc) it ask one again for product key, I insert the key and the same "this key is not valid for this version", skip it again and now im in windows, in the system properties says that is not actived and a default key??? is installed " *****-CYQG3 ",

what I should do now?

In regedit (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE) mediaboot install is already on "0",
    in order to use the slmgr -ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX to insert my key, theres another regkey named RetailInstall is in "1" right now,

What you recommend?

Regards

19. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Was the language of pre-installed OS the same as of MSDN image ?