Windows 8 OEM recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by saggyN73, Dec 11, 2012.

1. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    Hi Guys,
    I recently purchased HP Sleekbook 1104tu which came with per-installed with Windows 8 as operating system. I didn't like the way my HDD was partitioned by HP guys, it had only single partition and recovery partition. All I wanted to do is split C partition into more partition without having re-install everything. I tried shrinking partitions using Windows Disk Management feature, but couldn't get desired effect. So I downloaded EasyUS partition manager software and tried splitting partition again. But one big mistake I made is that I forgot to restart the computer after shrinking partitions with Disk Management before splitting it with EasyUS. Splitting with EasyUS was unsuccessful and all that messed up the whole process. Now I lost my operating system and whole C partition. Then I tried recovery mode, but it couldn't be successful either. Since whole partition data got corrupted, recovery failed. Just to try one more thing, I tried installing Windows 8 using MSDN ISO DVD but it did not work either. It kept reading product key embedded in UEFI and did not allow me proceed saying invalid key. I even called up HP guys, they sent me recovery media DVD today. Now I am trying it with as well, but it is giving me error "This computer is not supported by System Recovery Media. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these media. Error: 0130-ACJ-UUF". Now you guys are my last hope before I hand over my laptop to HP customer service center. All I want to do is re-install Windows 8 now. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you..
    Sagar

2. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    1. Download a Windows 8 ISO from wherever you like, and burn a disc. 2. Install it using the key printed on your computer's COA. Also during the installation, partition your hard disk the way you want it. The computer will probably run better anyway, as OEMs always put loads of unnecessary crap on. (I'm an I.T. Professional, and people pay me to de-clutter brand new systems.)

3. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    I am not sure whether the C partition is lost. There is no way for me to check current partition structure, since I am not able to install any version of Windows on it. Tried XP, Windows 7 as well. HP guys will take many days to repair my laptop.

4. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    It does not let me install any version of Windows since it does not even ask me for any key. It reads embedded key and says invalid product.

5. cleggy

cleggy MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2009
    why not use ubunto to get into pc then you can get into recovery partition and just reload it all as the day you got it.thats what i do in these cases

6. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    How can I start recovery process through Ubuntu? Please explain..Thank you

7. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Turn off the EFI driver in Setup/BIOS?

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How can you run a windows or dos recovery program from within Linux. o_O

9. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    :p ..ya that's what I am wondering about!!

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ saggyN73, I would just wait and let HP guys repair it and when you get it back first thing you do is make recovery disks. Then you can mess about with partitions. New machine or not I always make a backup before working on anyone's machine.

11. crappy44

crappy44 MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    Try TestDisk and recover the gpt/mbr and disk layout. You can run it from a usb boot stick for example.

12. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    I would do that too if I were that patient..Techie inside me not letting me slip and keeps pushing to troubleshoot before I give it up and hand it over to HP guys...:rolleyes:

13. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks. I guess, I will give it a try!!

14. bigbadjohn

bigbadjohn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2010
    Boot up with Linux see what you have, if you still have recovery partition make it active.
    then it will be first boot

15. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    Hi Guys,
    After long hours of troubleshooting, I was able to delete all partitions from drive using Gparted Live CD burnt to USB pen drive. Now I am able to install Windows 7 on it. Now my next challenge is to install Windows 8 on it as secondary OS. But the problem Windows 8 does not ask for any product key and reads embedded key in BIOS which results in failure of installation with message "Product Key on the device does not match". Is there any way of forcing Windows 8 installation to ask this key explicitly. So that I can enter generic serial key, install Windows and later activate it using my OEM license key embedded in BIOS? Like editing some configuration file, etc.
    Thanks for your help!!

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    open notepad and type

[Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

then save as ei.cfg and put it at root of the dvd/usb drive. Then you can enter a key for pro or core.

Hope this is what you were asking.

17. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Your OEM key in the BIOS is probably for Windows 8 Core - Single language, which is not yet leaked/available for us. The Windows 8 Core available on the MSN ISO support multiple language and can not be used with the key in your bios.

Solution :

1) Use original repair media/Send computer to repair
    2) Use Windows 8 Pro activated via KMS and then retail-activate with the free MediaCenter key
    3) Buy Windows 8 Pro Upgrade and do a full install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  19. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    Ok. I was about try installing Windows 8 Pro VL using generic key and after installation I was about insert OEM key and try to activate it online. So according to your post, it won't work!!. The 3rd option you have suggested i.e. buying Windows 8 Pro upgrade and do a full install should work?? I was going to buy it anyway. But I want to be sure before I spend (or waste) more $14.99 on it. Will I be able to perform clean install using it? and will it allow me to install it at the first place, since I have already original installed OS and recovery partition?