Windows 8 OEM reinsatall and Activition

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Menhem, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello

The other day I wanted to reinstall my Windows 8 OEM(believe it is "core") I started the recovery process, but every time it told me, that it could not continue because a "required drive partition is missing". Basically this meant for me that I was unable to make a full system recovery.

I then remembered that I had already bought a Windows 8 pro key so I just downloaded the Windows 8 Upgrade Tool from Microsoft's website, entered the key and made a fresh reinstall. Now I no longer have Windows 8 Core, but Windows 8 Pro. However, since I had already used the key on my old computer then my Windows 8 Pro is not activated on this computer because the key has already been used. And here is my question, what do I do. I really want it to go back to the Core version I had before, but I can't use my original Product key for the OEM version on the upgrade Assistants. I can't "use it on a retailversion."

Before I made the recovery in the first place I did make a USB media of it. Meaning I installed the recovery media on a USB, but as mentioned, it did not Work because the "required drive partition was missing". I then tried to use this USB recovery media (which I made from the OEM version) and make a recovery from it while having Windows 8 pro installed, but instead of installing the old Windows 8 Core it reinstalled Windows 8 pro with the key I ordered from Microsoft and used on my old computer.

So what do I do? I really want it to go back to what it used to be. With Windows 8 "core" OEM - as when I ordered the laptop.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Have a look here, you'll find what you need. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello coleoptere2007.

Thank you very much for answering. I looked at the link, but still don't know what to do. Is there a step-by-step guide for this? :)

It says "Run "slmgr.vbs /dlv" on the factory-installed OS & note down the SKU."
    ------ What is "slmgr.vbs /dlv" :)S

"Use this or this or this to extract the OEM:DM key from the MSDM table."
    ---------- Is it correctly understood that this will get me my original product key? If so... then I already have it, and don't need to do this, right? :)

So yeah, I might be a noob in this area :biggrin: But is there a more simple step-by-step guide? Or can you help me in more details? Thanks.

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    It seems that your recovery partition for factory reset is not accessible , perhaps you deleted it. The OEM key is integrated in the bios for laptops delivered with W8 . Then i think all the infos provided in the link i gave you should help. Read carefully all the steps are clear and easy to follow. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    Hmmm.

It says run "slmgr.vbs /dlv" - But what is it and where do I find it? :)

6. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    This is a command in prompt you have to execute in order to verify the sku (version) of the OS installed on the laptop.

7. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    Ahh okay :)

But it says that that i have to run it on the factory-installed OS. However, currently I am running Windows 8 Pro which i downloaded via the Microsoft upgrade Assistant. This isn't the factory-installed OS. Is it?

8. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #8 coleoptere2007, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Then you have to download the core/pro iso version in your language if it was the delivered system.

9. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    And I must install it before I do all this? And where can you download it from?

10. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    As I said all is in the link I gave you ;)

11. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    Yes. But do I need to install the "core" version before I follow the steps in the link?

And for the "Core" version it says "Use MSDN copy of Windows 8 (multiple editions) iso".
    -- Maybe I am blind, but I don't see a link for this? :confused::)

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Try a google search as windows 8 isos are not anymore available here or post a request in Windows 8 section. :tea:

13. Menhem

Menhem MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2014
    That has not helped. That is why I came here.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Why don't you install w8.1?

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you really would like to have the Core Version back, that one which were on the Laptop at the time you bought the machine, why didn't you just go to the Seller/Service Center and let them re-install?

Or follow the advice from Yen and install Windows 8.1!

16. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    The OP said he had a backup in a FD, if there is a wim, check the edition:

Dism /Image:X:\<path to wim> /Get-CurrentEdition

then download the edition and install, it will find the BIOS key. (I would guess it's a CSL). :p

17. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you download a Windows 8.0 MSDN image it should auto-read your key from bios.
    You just have to make sure it's the same SKU.
    You cannot use a Core Single Language key on a Core install.
    Make sure which version your key belongs to before proceeding.

18. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    That is what the OP was looking for, but none are available here and he said he didn't find any of them on Google :confused:

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I have them but I'm not going to upload them unless I know specific architecture and SKU.

20. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009