Windows 8 or Windows 7 for an older notebook?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by techn0, Jan 15, 2013.

1. techn0

techn0 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    in a couple of articles I have read, it seems, that Win 8 might be actually a better solution for an older PC than a Win 7 in terms of less memory/CPU usage. I`d like to know your opinion (and experiences if you have any) to this question. Thanks.

2. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    PAE, NX, and SSE2 need to run Windows 8

If your old support this then you can install

3. bobyo

bobyo MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't forget to check screen resolution. Windows 8 has a minimum resolution. I would love to run Windows 8 on my netbook but it won't support the lower resolution of a netbook. So just keep that in mind. Also rrohela is right as far as looking at support for an older chipset. I tried to install Windows 7 on an old AMD Athlon XP machine and there was just no support for the chipset at all. Great machine but it just won't run Windows 7. Just my two sense. What are the specs of your laptop?

4. donsedin

donsedin MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    U have a program on M.site to check if your pc can run win8, from my experience win8 is a lot better for old notebooks than win7. I have one on my old HP (6 year old).

5. techn0

techn0 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the answers. I will check, if the old notebook supports the mentioned features, but it is a Compaq Evo N610c (Pentium 4 mobile 2GHZ, 512 MB RAM, ATI 32 MB, Screen 1400 x 1050) from 2003, so it would be a miracle, i think. :) If not, never mind, i have a tested Win 7 "lite", which i was able to port on an even older notebook and it runs fine. Just thougt, i give it a try as a "first contact" with Win 8. :)