Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise and Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by myhken, Aug 16, 2012.

1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Hello.

I have tried to find a way to get Media Center in Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise. I'm using .iso files downloaded from my Technet account, so it's 100% original.
    I have found one link for the Preview with a serial, but it do not work on the final version.

It's not on the "turn Windows features on or off" list. And I can't find any info on Microsoft website.
    What are I'm missing?

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Control Panel ... Add features to Windows 8

It is what used to be called "Windows Anytime Upgrade" and works pretty much the same. Enter a product key for Windows Media Center and you get upgraded.

It doesn't work at all on Enterprise versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    But how can I get a Media Center key? Is it not free anymore? I tried a key that I found for the preview version of Windows 8, but it did not work.
    And I have no Media Center key on my Technet or on my MSDN account. :negative:

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    No it's not free, where have you been? It's been announced for a long time that Media Center would cost extra.

I think probably $10 USD is the going rate, what did it say when you clicked "I want to buy a product key"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Well it was telling me $10 USD the other day. Now it just gives an error message. Guess they don't have that all ready yet.

8. hoodlikegaza

hoodlikegaza MDL Junior Member

Oct 10, 2007
    So far, the absence of media center from windows 8 is a deal breaker for me. I use my pc as a media center, and not having live tv pretty much dismissed windows 8 as a novelty until they remove head from ass...

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Don't spam forum with same contents again and again :eek:

10. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Hello my friend from India, long time since last time now. I understand that I have not kept me updated on Windows 8, mostly because I did not like the new "metro" design with the tiles.
    But now I have to test it out, updating me on Windows 8 news...

Thank you for the info about Media Center. I have to live without.

11. wilburns

wilburns MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2010
    Can you update Windows on a unactivated Windows 8 Pro with wmc? Is the only think not being activated does, give you a nag screen every 3 hours?

12. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #14 acyuta, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. nnmanobala

nnmanobala MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2011
    Please use this link to get Windows Media Center for free, its a limited time offer only
    It works only for Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional editions only
    windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs :Lighten::yeahyeah: