Windows 8 Pro installed in OEM mode with non OEM disc

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ikith, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    I have a laptop that came PRE Installed with Windows 8, I reinstalled Windows 8 using a pro disc and I have a legitimate product key (OEM) but its saying I cannot use this key as it does not match the version of Windows 8 that is installed on this computer.

Is there any tool I can use to forcibly change the product key that it picked up during install to the one I have that came with the disc I used to install Windows 8 Pro?

2. Aden Tengoku

Aden Tengoku MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    ok then just use Microsoft toolkit works perfectly you can find it in MDL Projects and Applications :spoton:

3. norton737

norton737 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2011
    You have received this error when you booted from the cd or after the installation?

4. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Before you can install the new key, you need to remove the old key using: slmgr /upk Then slmgr /ipk with the new key.

5. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    I recieved no error during install in fact it never prompted me for a key during install, it just pulled the key from the laptop and used it. The error in my other post is observed when I try to activate my pro key.

However, I called M$ and found out that my key has reached its lock limit, it's at 11 activations and theres no way to activate it any more from what they have told me, however I doubt that as I could probably install it on my Envy 17 (A laptop that does prompt for key during install) and then force activation through phone.

I had actually tried this as well, this also yields the same error as posted above :\

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    If you are able to get it activated again then you should backup the activation. If you are using your legitiamatly purchased laptop/product key combo then there should be no issue activating it again but who knows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    I don't see that key getting activated again at this point, I'm actually pretty steamed about it, dude on the phone tried to tell me he was the manager/supervisor when I asked for a manager/supervisor after I had been transferred to him, I then asked for Steve Balmer :D.

8. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

I could be wrong but from experience when installing from a "Pro" disk it will still install the core edition on W8. All computers that come with Win8 preinstalled are core editions and the key is embedded in the BIOS (UFEI BIOS), so even if you install using the Pro disk it still installs the core edition because its picking up the key from the BIOS, which explains why you didn't get a prompt for the key. This was the case with my PC and what i had to do was disable secure boot and enable legacy support in the BIOS.

Confirm the edition of windows in system properties , do you see that it says "Windows 8 Pro" under Windows editions like in the image > system-properties.jpg if not you have the wrong edition installed.

9. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    I actually can't get the pro key in Toolkit to take either, same error :\

10. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    Gotcha, yeah it's showing as Windows 8 (No pro nothing after) and Toolkit is showing as core and will not install any other key aside from Core :\

11. Aden Tengoku

Aug 28, 2013
    have you installed auto KMS? if you did then click E-Z activator please disable antivirus and firewall temporary Before you do the steps to complete the operation :)

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    or add an exclusion for c:/windows/autokms/autokms.exe in your AV.

13. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    Auto kms switched the core edition from retail to kms then activated the core edition, did nothing along the lines of pro, when I try to inject the pro kms key in to windows, it gives a SKU not found.

14. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    And I got it activated, seems like "Activated 11 times", "Locked", "Can NEVER be activated again" are all lies, I was able to activate over the phone... Again, for the third time and 12th activation.

15. Aden Tengoku

Aug 28, 2013
    congratulations :holiday: