Windows 8 Pro Upgrade License

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FireDK, Oct 26, 2012.

1. FireDK

FireDK MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Hello.

I've been looking at the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade download option (the 40$ one from MS) but I can't seem to understand a little detail about it's license and I was hoping somebody here could shed some light on the matter. I currently have a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate activated with Daz's loader and I can buy the upgrade for it. The question is: if I buy the upgrade using this laptop will the license key allow me to use Windows 8 on another machine (if, for example, I replace my laptop) or will it be bound to the machine for which you buy it?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Diverge

Diverge MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I don't speak from experience, since I haven't tried it yet. But I think you can install it wherever you want. The app just checks to see if you have an activated windows 7 install. I have my key and iso, and not sure where I will install it yet. I also made a copy of the iso, and added in the ei.cfg file which is supposed to make it an AIO, and also allow you to bypass the key entry at install and have a trial period (not sure if that is true, it's just what I read - I'll try it later when I get home from work).

3. XIFER

XIFER MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    yes. I've done it.

after purchasing on laptop, dont proceed with install. instead key in the key in another machine

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Ordered and paid 5min ago. Received the Key withing process on Website and also by e-mail.

Will install completely new on my Laptop using a clean install.

In morning today I wasn't able to "buy" from MS and just after I came back from Bangkok 30min ago, the webprotal for to buy were open.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    No, it dosen't, it just check that the machine is compatible to install win8 or not, you can run it in WRP, or win8RTM in compatible mode. :p

6. Lenster

Lenster MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Just ordered and downloaded the $39.99 upgrade. I was hoping to just change the product key on the KMS activated Windows 8 I already had installed, but the installed one is Windows 8 Enterprise and the downloaded key is PRO.
    So unless there is some way to fool the installed windows 8 into thinking its PRO, I am faced with a reinstall.