Windows 8 Pro VL (or Enterprise) w\ Media Center (AIO) for KMS Activation Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nilum, Jul 12, 2013.

1. nilum

nilum MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I am a little confused.

I know that Microsoft fixed the bug where people were able to upgrade their KMS activated versions of Windows 8 Pro VL to a "legit" Media Center license, but are the AIO versions of Windows 8 floating around with Media Center capable of being activated via KMS?

Or is it possible to just get the Media Center software to work with a VL or Enterprise version of Windows 8 that has been activated via KMS?

Also, does Microsoft offer an upgrade path from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro? I thought I remember hearing about them wanting people to migrate from Vista so they were offering an upgrade path for them.

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    As far as I know:

WMC is not able to be added to enterprise. (Only PRO has the option to add MWC.)
    MWC is activate-able via KMS, just have to find the WMC KMS/VL key.
    Cannot add WMC to PRO actviated/has VL key.

Someone with more knowleadge on WMC/VL kms activation will have to tell you further.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Hmm...installed WMC several times on KMS activated Windows Pro retail in the last time.

You´ll only need the Pro Retail ISO (mostly named like i.e. 'de_windows_8_x64_dvd_915409'). MS only fixed the activation of WMC when installed on KMS activated Pro, not the setup itself. Afterwards it must be activated by KMS again.

5. nilum

nilum MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    So do I need to activate via MTK before I install WMC or after?

Can WMC be installed if Windows 8 is not yet activated?

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Nope...cannot be added to unactivated Windows. You´ll need to activate twice, prior to and after installing WMC.

7. harvester

harvester MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi Slave, this is a little confusing. If the guy has to activate his retail copy of W8pro with a valid retail key, then install WMC with another valid WMC key, what's the point of the KMS activation using MTK? Did I miss something here? Thanks.

8. nilum

nilum MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #9 nilum, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    (OP)
    I was able to install and activate Windows 8 Pro no problem.

But after installing WMC, activation does not seem to work. Showing I only have 30 days left.

Edit: MTK says:

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Mmmmm.... surprised? :tea:

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    30 days is normal for Core and Pro WMC, for Win 8.1 it will be 45 days. No problem when AutoKMS is installed to renew activation.
    My main system is running fine that way quite a long time now...no problems with updates :good3:.

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Only medium confusing :D.

#1. Install Pro Retail and avtivate via KMS (gVLK needs to be installed)
    #2. Add the WMC feature with an own WMC key or using the Retail Install key
    #3. Activate WMC via KMS

12. harvester

harvester MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    OK, Now I see what you're accomplishing. Makes sense now.