Windows 8 Pro with WMC activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by marcusj0015, Mar 11, 2013.

1. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I got a free key for Win8Pro+WMC (Well, seven actually :) ) but the activation time is up, and I didn't have my computer set up in time to activate it, what should I do?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The only thing what you could do with that keys is to try phone activation but hardly will work! It's just a try and don't expect anything from it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. torrevieja

torrevieja MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2009
    Activate your system by telefon. It's posible now.:)

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In real it's possible for those key's which were activated before end of the grace period already and now need to get reactivated on the exact same computer! That isn't the case for the OP!

Maybe, if he's good in lie, he could get it done, it's entirely on himself!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. torrevieja

torrevieja MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2009
    You’re mistaken.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry! NOT according to the Microsoft Policy regarding the Free WMC Key which Grace period endet January 31. 2013/24h!

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  8. torrevieja

torrevieja MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2009
    I called on March 5 by skype and activated Win8Pro+WMC with clean WMC key (received in February):biggrin5:. Used 9200.16384.120725-1247_ProWMC_HRM_CCSA_X86FRE_EN-US_DVD.iso

9. pottzman

pottzman MDL Member

Dec 8, 2009
    hmmmm

something is strange here. I just reinstalled windows 8 pro using my oem dvd (non slp). it activated over the net....no problems. then I upgraded to WMC with a free key that I got but never used before the end of the grace period... activated over the net....no problems.

10. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    While playing with my stressed out Dell XPS 8300, (Stressed in that there are four boot drives, all with legit OS's), I somehow managed to "zero out" my 128GB SSD which had Windows 8 Pro w/WMC installed. No problem, I'll just restore from my Acronis True Image backup file. Whoops, my backup image is two months old and doesn't contain the free WMC that expired on Jan. 31st. And from many postings on many forums, I am SOL in getting back WMC for free after Jan 31. But then I run across this thread and figure "What the Hell?, all it can do is not work worse case, and best case, it will work." So I do the "Add Features" thing, putting in my expired Jan 31 WMC product key. It takes it. After the mandatory reboot, I have the watermark in the lower right hand corner. When I check the activation status it states "Windows is not activated". But when I click on the "Details" link, it states that "Windows is activated". Well, is it or isn't it? At this point I check the Windows Update and see that two updates are available. I install them and after the mandatory reboot, all is well. Windows 8 Pro w/WMC is activated and genuine. Shutdown and reboot three more times is still all is good. Not sure why an supposed expired Jan 31st product key is working, but I'm not complaining!
    BTW, a quick note about Acronis True Image Home 2013. I know it gets a lot of knocks and well deserves them. But I run it in a limited fashion - doing a full backup image, not incremental or differential, and disk clone. In these instances, I have never had a failure of any kind. And I always run it from a USB Flash Drive or boot CD, never on a "live" system. Just my 2 cents.

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, sometimes it needs two restarts to get its gear together.