Windows 8 Pro x64 Retail No Sound after Restart Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Driver

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Ducati, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ducati

Ducati MDL Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Installed Creative Windows 8 Beta Driver for my Titanium HD Card on Windows 8 x64 and sound works fine after install. Upon restart I get no sound. Checked device manager and driver is working properly. Went into service manager, stopped and restarted Windows Audio, still no sound. If I reinstall driver sound works until I restart and then no sound again.

Default windows driver works but obviously I would like to get the creative driver working so I can use all the enhancement software that comes with that driver. I'm honestly quite stumped as to why would it work on initial install and then not work on restart? I mean there are no issues in event viewer, tried troubleshooting compatability but man I am STUMPED.

Anyone can help with this, I would be eternally grateful...Thanks.

2. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Are you using the recommended driver (2.18.0015A)? If so, this is repeatable (and applies to the PCI version of the X-Fi as well - I have an identical issue). Amazingly, the driver shows as loaded in Device Manager - therefore, I suspect that the addresses it normally uses get partially over-written. Updating the driver (via a forced reload in Device Manager) solves the problem. And before folks start jumping all over Creative, it's not unique to Creative's hardware (or even to Windows); it's an issue inherent in the Plug and Play standard, especially when you have both PnP and legacy hardware in the same PC (which still applies to PCs even today).

3. fantasyhustler

fantasyhustler MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    yea its a known issue of the driver so do this.go throu all ur sound setings n make sure u have sound.then shut down the computer so it saves its settings.then start up.and ur alright.

4. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This is a major annoyance right now...that and the fact I can't copy large folders of files without using teracopy. This OS is buggy.

So I find a video I want to watch and I've got to reboot to hear it. yea, this is getting old.

5. Ducati

Ducati MDL Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Yes the only work around is just that, on initial install just shut down so the OS preserves the settings. Any attempt at a restart and your back to square one, no sound.

6. tazman137

Jul 17, 2009
    Losing sound after being in Win8 is more annoying that the settings not saving though.

7. fantasyhustler

Jul 14, 2009
    you guys probably not reading the posts above how to fix this so....

8. tazman137

Jul 17, 2009
    there is no fix.

9. fantasyhustler

Jul 14, 2009
    my xfi works fine with the latest drivers.;)

10. tazman137

Jul 17, 2009
    You will lose sound after running awhile.

11. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Windows 8 -64 (9200)
    Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
    Driver: SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A

Settings in the controll panell is not saved after reboot. To get the sound back i need to open audio controll panel and choose "entertainment mode" evry time i reboot Windows 8.

I have posted this problem in the creative forum.
    And Robert McClelland (well known Creative driver modder) says he will contact Creative admins with this problem, maby we get an anser soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I have successfully get my audio to save and work at rebot /cool start.

The problem was that i turned of the windows 8 hibernation.
    After i sat hibration to enable the sound works as it should.
    However, Windows 8 hibernation function is taking approximately 12GB for me.

I use the beta driver SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A.

And additional audio (sound controll panel etc) found automatically by Windows 8

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    X-Fi XtremeGamer user and I find this issue a deal-breaker with Windows 8 (RTM, Pro x64). The driver (SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A) installs, and it works (by testing it in Windows speakers) - but after installing the Creative programs (volume panel, console launcher), adjusting things to my liking (EQ, etc.) and restarting the PC, I find that all settings in Console Launcher are back to default, and if I click on a speaker to test it out, there is no sound at all, from any them. Moving over to Windows speakers and testing it through there, at first it seems that there's no sound but after I adjust the volume to max, I detect the test sound playing (but extremely faintly). Everything works 100% in Windows 7 x64 (and I know it's not something I am doing wrong in W8). I've reinstalled W8 three times in the last two days, and this problem persists and is completely reproducible.

Edit: I do have hibernation disabled in W8 (but in W7 also)...

14. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    sorry that I won't be able to help anybody here. I had a lot of headaches with a Creative Xtreme Gamer card back when Win7 came out. For months there was nothing that worked. The support was non-existent. Topics in the creative forums were full of complaints. I finally sold my card and promised to never go back to Creative. I now own an Asus Xonar and I am extremely happy with it. No issues at all in Windows 7 64bit and no problems switching to Win8 64bit. Beautiful sound and excellent drivers/software....
    a good option just in case you are getting really frustrated and are ready to sell you Creative...
    good luck

15. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    For the most part I have had a rather enjoyable and reliable experience with my Xtreme Gamer. It is, even today, a rather decent card - and I don't know if I'm willing to dish out >$50 for another sound card based on the fact that on the software end of things it isn't 100% compatible with an OS that's not even 'officially' released yet. That said, if the driver and the applications that this card needs in order to take advantage of the features isn't ready by or on the day Windows 8 launches, I will consider my options, because I am all too aware of Creative's lukewarm product support. The audio experience is very important to me both for gaming and music - and if one thing is for sure is that I won't compromise on this front. Too bad, because the hardware is fantastic, but Creative certainly doesn't live up to it's brand name where drivers support is concerned...

16. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I have a soundblaster HD. the only problem I have is the sound settings go back to default..but thats it... I been using windows 8 sense last month and not ran into any other sound problems. my audio is fine.

17. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    f*****

it seemed I jinxed myself by comment about how my sound works without problems because now it doesn't work........:mad:

only thing that's works now is the headphone jack. the rca out is not working, and I need it for my reciever.

thing is it was working about 10 hours ago before I made the comment

I even tried to reinstall and it works for like 5 minutes and then stops working......

back to windows 7 for now because I need the rca connections working on my card.

18. MORRISMAN

MORRISMAN MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2008
    One of the problems with the X-Fi drivers that keeps re-occurring in posts on the Creative forums involves SSD's.
    Lots of users were losing their sound and were not able to get it back without re-installing the driver. SPDIF still worked.

I got rid of my X-FI in the end and bought a Xonar.;)

19. MORRISMAN

MORRISMAN MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2008
    The one thing users seemed to have in common was that they had a SSD as their primary drive.

20. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #20 dsbig, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    I dont have a ssd drive......

and why is the rca out effected on my card but not the headphone connection.

I went back to windows 7 and everything is working fine.

I used to have a Xonar Essence ST, but, I needed some money at the time and sold it,along with a 1100 watt psu :( sad day