Windows 8 Pro X64 RTM Microsoft E-Mail Sign In

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kepler22b, Aug 6, 2012.

1. kepler22b

kepler22b MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Just a quick question i can't seem to find apparent anywhere online; is it safe to sign in to your Microsoft e-mail account to download apps and what not? thanks in advance!

2. Hunter3000

Hunter3000 MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    yes, im using my own email and still working without problems :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
    i think he is asking about legal stuff, your account will be tied to your OS, if somehow MS found out that you are using pirated copy will that get you in trouble? will your account be banned? remember that your account contains your first and last name and some additional info and if MS knew you are using pirated copy they can find your identity easily.

4. RobHague

RobHague MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 RobHague, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    Good question! I would like to use my main addy, however I am slightly concerned that MS might deactivate or block my account. That would be bad as I have lots of services tied to that email and it would be a nightmare trying to sort out without access to it. I know it might be ok /now/ but they have done bad things to people for uploading things to Skydrive that MS thought they shouldn't right?... :confused:

Hmmm. Caution tells me to not risk it but it seems unlikely that they would do this.

5. pewpewk

pewpewk MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Unlikely because while many of us are pirating Windows 8, there are also many people scammed into buying illegitimate copies of Windows OSs from 3rd parties unknowingly. Microsoft can't just equate non-genuine with pirates, else all hell would break loose. I don't believe Microsoft would start banning you if you're using a pirated Windows. They still make money if you buy things from the store, so they still have an incentive to keep your account open. Just my 2 cents on the matter though, I could be horribly wrong.

6. sommarblond

sommarblond MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    You are not "tied" to your windows copy at all. Only the settings from your windows is stored on your account. So yes, its safe to login to your microsoft account.

7. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Hmm, not necessarily. MS would be about protecting their customers, not protecting duped customers of illegal vendors (who therefore wouldn't be MS customers, whether those customers thought they were or not).

In any case I guess the question would be whether or not there is any technology in place that would link your Win8 activation status to your MS email account, and if one can have repercussions over the other. I would highly doubt that would be the case, because there would be the risk of someone having illegally obtained your email account info and password and then using it to log into Win8... and all would be a mess. So I would say no, the two are not tied that way.

8. UnderShadow

UnderShadow MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2007
    What looks safe right now may not be in the future. Many things may not be in place right now, but in the future, when MS has enough data about many people, who knows.

9. sommarblond

sommarblond MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Well you need to understand that they don't collect any information without your permission. The only data they sync with your Microsoft account is the data you have chosen it to sync from "PC settings". You can choose to not sync any settings at all if that would please you.

10. suddo30

suddo30 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    read this article:
    Watch what you store on SkyDrive–you may lose your Microsoft life

wmpoweruser.com/watch-what-you-store-on-skydriveyou-may-lose-your-microsoft-life/

11. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i have uploaded more than 60GB of pron to all 50+ skydrive accounts for the last 5 months,have not been suspended,so far :biggrin:

12. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    #12 warlordll, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    simple: im trying my copy out now..as i like it come release date i already planned to buy a legal copy....happy atm coz i get to see the new features and test it..works way better than RP did...past xp was vista and XP ofc so even then i bought legit copies..will keep doing it :)

so for me i call it a demo. enjoy all

ps another way to put it..is that we are potential customers..so they cant ban those :)