Windows 8 problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by UNForces, Apr 9, 2013.

1. UNForces

UNForces MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2013
    I have installed Windows 8 pro, installed all updates available, then activated using KMS.

##THE PROBLEM:

- Whenever I try to launch any program that requires to be run as administrator, I get an error message, like the ones attached, stating the path to the program's .exe and "unspecified error".
    TaskManager.JPG DeviceManager.JPG
    - When right-clicking the .exe or shortcut and choosing "Run as administrator", it runs properly.

## Some Notes:

- On a freshly installed Win 8, i.e. without updates installed or activation, the expected behavior of a dimmed screen with a pop-up asking you to launch the program as administrator, aka the UAC window, appears normally.
    - I tried reinstalling twice with the same outcome.
    - The UAC settings are set to Windows' default "Notify me only when applications try to make changes to my computer". Also tried to turn UAC off by setting it to "Never notify me", but the problem persists.
    - Whatever thing responsible for this behavior starts in a delayed mode; as when trying to launch the task manager for instance by right-clicking the taskbar before the desktop is fully loaded, it launches without the described error. Trying to disable all the delayed start services; namely Software protection, Security Center, and Windows Search didn't solve the problem.

Any help?

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
  3. UNForces

UNForces MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2013
    Hashes checked

Thanks anarchist9027 for your reply. :)

- 1st thing I checked after downloading was the sha1 hash of the iso. As a matter of fact I get the correct hashes 1st for the MSDN iso I want, search the torrents for one that matches and after download I recheck the hash.
    - I have en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso, the 1st result displayed in MS's MSDN subscriber downloads (I cannot post the exact link due to post number limitation), with
    SHA1: 22D680EC53336BEE8A5B276A972CEBA104787F62
    which matches "Windows 8 RTM English, 32-bit (x86)" from the ones you stated.
    - I even suspected the usb stick I used to install and changed it, but again in vain.

4. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    suggestion - win key + x
    command prompt as admin
    SFC /scannow

5. UNForces

UNForces MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2013
    Yields
    "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

6. UNForces

UNForces MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2013
    Any help is appreciated..

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Is there any 3rd party AV software running?

8. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    It looks like TS applied some s**tty tweak.

UNForces, have you tweaked something? I.e. some registry access right change to get the User List befor logon?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. UNForces

UNForces MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes, Avast! free antivirus. Tried uninstalling it completely and nothing new.

1- What's TS?
    2- I didn't tweak a thing.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    TS = Thread Starter :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. jackmonter5

jackmonter5 MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yes, iv'e seen Windows update messed up pretty bad, looping, and in the end it turned out to be "bypass modern" utility the cause.....

12. UNForces

UNForces MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks guys for your tries to help. I just refreshed Windows 8 using a USB, the same one used in a previous installation by the way, and installed all the updates AGAIN and the same antivirus and the problem just disappeared!!
    - I will not mark the thread as solved as this is not considered a solution anyway.

13. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    gotta remember also, Windows 8 is still buggy considering its RTM which is why Windows 8.1 (A.K.A.Windows 8 SP1, Windows Blue etc....) is being rushed out hopefully to squash strange things like that from happening.

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    ...and to squash more money from our briefcases, maybe? :eek: