Windows 8 random freezes ( Solved )

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CMD, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CMD

CMD MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    #1 CMD, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    I have win8 Pro x86 installed on my Lenovo lappy.

it randomly freezes ,

when i use chrome , it hangs while showing Waiting for cache .

and even logs show :

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Source : Storahci

and another warning in event manager is :
    The IO operation at logical block address 16abb2 for Disk 0 was retried. source : disk .

please help me with this , i already tried disabling AHCI in BIOS but didnt helped and system didnt booted at all .

drivers also updated ,

anyone having new drivers can also help me with the link

System specs :

Lenovo G570 .
    3 Gigs ram
    3 partitioned HDD 650 GB
    i3 2.1 GHZ intel processor .

1.JPG

2. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    im no expert on this so dont take this advice as golden
    but you may have to re-install windows 8 with AHCI turned off

im sure someone else may have a better solution
    but it might be worth a try if you dont mind doing that

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi,

My solution is that case will be:
    Enable AHCI in BIOS
    Reinstall Windows 8 (reliable and confirmed from MSDN site)
    Install drivers in following sequence:
    -Intel Chipset Driver
    -Reboot
    -DirectX
    -Intel HD Graphic Driver
    -Reboot
    -Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
    -Reboot
    -Intel Management Engine Interface
    -Other drivers

Use Intel site/Softpedia for above drivers. Try to avoid Windows 7 drivers for Windows 8 as architecture is compatible but still a lot of code changes here and there. Moreover, in each drive/partition properties --> tools --> error checking and see what Windows 8 discover. Sometimes, there is dirty bit on one of the partitions, scan that partition for errors in such case.

Go ahead and enjoy :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. secured2k

secured2k MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    #4 secured2k, Aug 27, 2012
    This error usually happens when the hard drive is dying or has a bad sector and is struggling to read data or outright fails to read data. This is why the computer freezes because Windows kernel is waiting on the hard drive to respond with the message it's completed the data read/write or an error message from the HDD.

Note, this may just be a small section on the HDD so if you re-install (and windows files are not installed to those bad sectors or stop the computer from trying to access whatever is on the bad sectors) then the problem won't happen until you hit that bad sector again.

Test and verify the hard drive before trying these software fixes. You need to run a SMART drive Short Test (DST) which will take about 2 minutes, and then to be sure, a full SMART /extended test which will take hours. If these tests fail, replace the HDD. You can also test and possibly repair the drive using a paid tool called "SpinRite" at grc.com but the tool costs as much as a new HDD so i would only use it for repair if you had data you needed to recover or to "refurbish" the drive.

5. CMD

CMD MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    Thanks all for the replies , will try to fix once , if not then replace HDD with SSD . :D
    already planning to get a new SSD .

6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm Guessing It's The Video Driver

I've had this happen a couple of times. Everything locks up. Mouse cursor won't move, keyboard won't respond. The only option is to hit the reset button and reboot. My best guess is that it is a video driver problem. Nvidia still hasn't released a final driver that supports Windows 8.

7. CamT

CamT MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    #7 CamT, Aug 27, 2012
    I had the same problem. Then I found a topic here, where a guy had intel motherboard and win8 freeze during boot. Somebody told him that it is win8's fault, and there is something what we have to type into CMD and solves the problem. It solved for me.

type this into CMD: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes it solves the freezing problem. And don't forget to restart.

8. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I confirm that the mentioned command fix the problem. Earlier it was really annoying, everytime I listened to Windows Media Player I experienced sudden BSOD.

9. CMD

CMD MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012

wuhuuuu !! that solves it . just disabled the dynamic tick and the system hasnt freezed since an hour .

thanks CamT. :worthy:

10. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Yep, It seems like that command usually fixes the unexpected crash issues. How the hell is this bug still existent? Hope it's fixed via windows update by GA release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. CMD

CMD MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    Added solved . thanks all for the help . :D

12. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 8 isn't freezing for me but the new Flash in Firefox is totally horrendous. Constantly freezing up FF especially if docked to one half of the screen.

13. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    FF freezes with the newest 11.3 and 11.4 flash. Both on 14.0 and 15.0. It's annoying, time for HTML5, no more Flash! I'm getting mad everytime I open a website with Flash, sometimes I can't even open the browser! The problem appears since June 2012 and till now it wasn't fixed. Just great!!!

14. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    BTW@
    Applied the solution + installed all hotfixes, but still get random BSOD. This time when using webbrowser and many times right after logging in to Windows.

15. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Hello guys, how to rename thread title? (If it is possible)...
    I renamed the 1st post title but the title of entire thread didn't changed. :)

16. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    I had same issue on DP before try updating graphic card driver.