Windows 8 Recovery on a brand new Windows 8 Acer PC that suffered a powercut.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Deja-Vu, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Deja-Vu

Deja-Vu MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Bought a brand new Windows 8 system on Wednesday of last week and had a little play with it.
    Whilst using it, I suffered a powercut and had no time to create the Recovery DVD's.

I'm now faced with this on every boot -
    2013-09-30 21.34.50.jpg

With Secure Boot disabled I get this -
    2013-09-30 21.40.38.jpg

My question is, if I create a Windows 8 Core USB drive can I recover the system from the Recovery Partition supplied by Acer somehow? Or am I completely screwed?

Ideally, if I install the Core version to the Drive C, would I be able to recover using the Advanced Startup Options.
    or can I install the Core Version, activate UEFI BIOS again and it'll activate a new install of Windows 8 Core - and the Recovery Partition is then rendered useless?

Help appreciated.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #3 urie, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    It seems you cannot get into windows to start recovery software try this.

Recovering from the hard drive during startup
    To reinstall Windows and all pre-installed software and drivers:

1 Turn on your computer, then press <Alt> + <F10> during startup to open Acer eRecovery Management.

3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Oops, sorry for my bad info I didn't saw that he couldn't start windows. o_O

4. Deja-Vu

Sep 3, 2009
    <Alt> + <F10> Acer eRecovery Management is no longer available in Windows 8 due to this UEFI Firmware business.
    The only other option I have been given is to try and create a USB Recovery drive from a working version of Windows 8 and boot from it and see if the eRecovery is available from the menu it brings up.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    We're pretty smart here, but serious problems like this on retail purchases should probably be spent on the phone with someone from Acer Tech Support.
    Try to find a "Contact Us" link or tech support link on their website...

6. Deja-Vu

Sep 3, 2009
    Been on to Acer and they RMA'd it. I was hoping the smart people could solve it before I sent it back. ;)
    Apparently, can be fixed with the original Recovery DVD's/Partition, but not possible to boot to it in this state.

But seems like it's too serious an issue. Thanks for the replies lads!