Windows 8 Remote Desktop issue - cant connect to other Win8 computers.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by myhken, Aug 23, 2012.

1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    #1 myhken, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Hello.

I have a strange problem with Remote Desktop on Windows 8 RTM.
    I have two servers at home, with several virtual machine on them, and only uses Remote Desktop to connect to my servers and VM. I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 on my servers and Windows 7 on some of my test VMs.
    I have no problems at all connecting to all my servers and VMs from my Windows 8 computer.

But I can not connect to any of my Windows 8 VMs. I have enabled Remote Desktop, I have added my user, I have set password in Windows 8, I have opened the firewall. But still, I can't logon from my Windows 8 Enterprise computer. It's only says that I use the wrong login info. But I use the right one.

Another strange thing is that I can connect from any other Windows 8 virtual machine to one of the Windows 8 VMs with Remote Desktop enabled. So I know all the settings is correct. And the issue is not on my Win8 VMs, but on my computer.

I have tested this issue on two computers now, one with Windows 8 Enterprise and one with Windows 8 Pro. I have found out that if I use a Microsoft account as user on my computers (not local account) I can't connect to any other Windows 8 computer. I can connect to Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

If I use a computer with a local account, I can connect to all types of Remote Desktop, also Windows 8 (all versions).

Do anybody else have this problem, and do anybody have a solution for me? I'm using Remote Desktop allot, and had plans for setting up a Windows 8 RDC VM on my server to use for my "desktop". But since I'm using Microsoft account on both my laptops, RDC do not work against Windows 8 RDC. :mad:

Edit:
    If I use a Microsoft account on my virtual machine, with the same logon info as my laptops, I can connect from my laptops also. But I do not want to use my e-mail and password on every virtual machine I setup, and I wont use local accounts on my laptops. There has to be another solution to this issue?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I never worked with remote desktop, I use RAdmin for many years now.

But regarding your problem: If you could use your MS Account for to connect without problem, why you not sign up for an second account just to use for that connection.

Seem to be the easiest way, me think!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #3 xscess, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    I just connected from a Win 7 laptop to a Windows 8 Enterprise VM which is hosted by a Win 7 desktop PC.

My LAN setup: ALL my PCs __laptop, desktops, VMs__ get their IPs from my router(VMs are bridged in VMware Workstation). But since you are running servers & VMs for a while I take you wouldn't have a problem with LAN.

Could you specify the issue in simple terms... like:

1, The OS you are trying to connect from(VM or bare metal)(Local or MS account)
    2, The OS you are trying to connect to(VM): I think this is clear as you did mention that, you couldn't connect to Win 8 VM. (Local or MS account)
    3, The OS under which the above Win 8 VM is hosted.(Local or MS account)

EDIT1: BTW, I use local accounts on all my PCs, so not Microsoft accounts are involved.
    EDIT2: Added local or MS account info.

4. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I can explain more.

If I use my Win8 laptop with MS Account, I can connect to: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2, Windows Vista and Windows 7 without any problem with Remote Desktop.
    If I use my Win8 laptop with MS Account, I can NOT connect to any Windows 8 computers with LOCAL accounts.

If I use a Win8 computer with LOCAL account, I can connect to all other Windows 8 computers (real or virtual) WITH local accounts.

If I use a Win8 laptop with a Microsoft Account, I can connect to any other Windows 8 computer (real or virtual) that has a Microsoft Account. I just tested using different Microsoft accounts on my laptop and on the computer I try to connect to, and it worked. So if you use a Microsoft account on both sides all is OK.

If you are using Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2008 R2 there is no problem connecting to a Windows 8 computer with Remote Desktop.

Conclution so far:
    So long as I use Microsoft accounts on my laptops, my virtual machines has to use Microsoft account if I want to use Remote Desktop.

5. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Ok, got it.

6. *child

*child MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2012
    I had problems RDP'ing from one Windows 8 computer with a Microsoft account to another Windows 8 computer with a local account. For it to work, I found that you have to put the domain of the local account before the username. For example, if the local account belongs to WORKGROUP​ domain, then the username for RDP should be WORKGROUP\username.

I hope this helps.

7. shanejh

shanejh MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2013
    Just to add to this in the case of a MS or online account you put MicrosoftAccount\emailaddress (MicrosoftAccount\someone@gmail.com)