Windows 8 RP Visual Style for 8 RTM and Server 2012 RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dummekuehe, Aug 5, 2012.

1. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #1 dummekuehe, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    releasepreviewvs.jpg

netload.in/dateiHHxteQ9cIE/ThemesWin8RP.zip.htm

I prefer this Visual Style from Release Preview.
    It works just like the RTM, you can change color, the taskbar is slightly tranparent, the automatic color adaption also works

Just copy the ThemesRP folder to c:\windows\resources
    rename Themes to ThemesORG
    rename ThemesRP to Theme
    reboot

Themes also works on Server 2012 after you install Desktop Experience
    if you have problems to find it in Server Manager just install it via PowerShell
    enter the following two lines followed by ENTER:

Code:
    Import-Module ServerManager
    Install-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

2. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Nice find. Much better! Thank you.

3. Sheza

Sheza MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    Is there a way to make the title bars transparent?

4. plnet

plnet MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    just to correct you there -
    this is the theme from Win 8 DP and CP. RP theme is different, looking almost like RTM except RTM isn't transparent :)

5. rafaelfborges

rafaelfborges MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2009
    Me too!! Give more urls plz!

6. Sheza

Sheza MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    Are you sure? All the screenshots I've seen of RP have that theme (+ transparency). The RTM theme has super ugly close buttons etc, I haven't seen that in any RP screenshots.

7. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    If transparecy can be achieved I'd defenetly switch from win 7 to win 8 in my main machine... this is problably the only thing is preventing me from doing the full jump (testing/running in on a 2nd machine.. trying to convince myself).. aaggh!! why MS why??? why you took this nice feature away???? why????:mad:

9. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    jesus
    if that's your only problem with windows 8 you must be a happy guy

10. fardeen

fardeen MDL Member

May 11, 2010
    installed windows 8 RTM and my first impression was.... is it that ugly without aero glass?? and idea was yes. its so so so ugly without aero. even changing all the themes. well it still sucks. ironic part is that there is still a trace of transparency on the actual taskbar. we all know real reason they removed aero glass is because of these underpowered tablets and pretext that aero uses so much system /video ram or resources when all modern pc can so much run it perfectly. very disappointed.

11. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    if you want to make the taskbar more transparent ironically transbar 1.4.2 actually works and looks good.

12. plnet

plnet MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    Who cares about taskbar? :) Window borders is what we need! Never thought I'll need to use WindowBlinds and the likes again

13. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Well I did say ironically. ;)

But I think thats why ms went the way they did not only to save battery life and speed things up but also alot of people hack there OS's anyway to suit thier style.

14. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    by the way this works without patched dlls

15. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    does this require uxtheme patch?

16. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #18 luke7, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    Hi dummekuehe

No, just take owership of the areo.msstyle file in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero + permission for areo.msstyle
    Remember to backup the default file.

17. plnet

plnet MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    #19 plnet, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    I've used a file called Build 7850 Activator & Timebomb.exe, it appears to have a timebomb remover, not sure what it does though :) I've "untimebobmed" the DP install I also have, and it looks like it's not restarting itself after 2 hours of work, but you still need to because explorer becomes unusable after those 2 hrs: you can continue using the apps you've already got open but you can't open new ones, as well as folder windows and the start menu.
    But that's SO off-topic, so sticking to this topic, I'd rather have the option to return transparency to RTM. All the animations and transitions appear to be still there, Aero Peek is there as well, so the only thing that's missing is the transparent window borders. That shouldn't be hard to get restored, eh?

18. aaron7pm

aaron7pm MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2010
    Thanks, I really like the bigger forward and back nav buttons better than the new small ones. The new small ones don't look good IMO.