Windows 8 RT

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Nov 27, 2012.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    My girlfriend bought one. and she loves it. I was hoping it would be up to the tasks at hand. It is! Office 2013 was never more then a nice bonus during the wait before release. I have seen it used almost daily.

I have been in IT, mostly Microsoft, for 25 years and I was not sure it would translate to the tablet era... well looks like it

I agree with most of the writer's comments... the parting words are just right.

3. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    #3 anarchist9027, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    I dont see why anyone would want an RT tablet as of yet seeing that you cannot use i386 architecture and 99.9% of Microsoft Windows applications in the world are 32 bit.

I'll Wait till the next surface tablet in 2013 to come out with an Intel core i5 with 4 GB of RAM and have 128 GB of space probably for the same price as the $699 64 GB model.

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Could someone do me a favor and send me an export from the following registry key?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\ProductOptions

I want to check the differences to other normal Systems.
    No personal/critical Informations are stored in this key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I like RT but it makes no sense for the desktop. The Surface is definitely on my wish list.

6. robonzio

robonzio MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Yeah i will wait for the Surface Pro too and of course for the price. i dont know why people expect too much from a tablet. Mac software cant be installed on an Ipad also but people buying Ipads like crazy. If i would like to have x86 support i would buy a ultrabook not a tablet

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As much as I liked that short time testing on the Surface, I also will wait for the x86 Surface Pro. For me that Tablet is for working but play or look movies etc. and the Surface Pro may will replace my laptop in many parts. The Laptop will be also still a need for some work a Tablet could not do which will includes the Surface Pro.

For those who'll like an Tablet for real work, the Surface Pro would be the overall solution.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Surface Pro or any other similiar Intel based solution.
    Not as fancy as a Surface but plenty of power and gorgous display Acer W700, 799$ for i3, 899$ for i5, it comes with Dock + Wirelss Keyboard in every configuration.

The way Microsoft solved it with their Surface is just brilliant, the built-in Kickstand is just awesome in so many scenarios, the Touchcover is handy but for any serious work it's not good enough though, i hope it's included in EVERY configuration of Surface Pro like they actually intended for Surface.. the Touchcover is a kind of "must have" for the Surface as it makes it complete, without it's touchcover it just feels naked as there is no other Cover for the surface, so it's either Touch/Typecover or nothing at all.
    I just hate how expensive the RT devices of Windows are, almost ridiculous for what they actually offer, but it can't be helped.. im sure they would have wanted to offer it for something like 399$ but no OEM would even release a 10" RT slate for such a price for now.

I hope to see 7-8" RT Slates next year for 250-299$.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I tested that Acer W700 on an exhibition last week and compare to the Surface RT, it lacks special regarding the Touch Screen. Also the outfit differs quite a lot and isn't that nice as the Surface. The WiFi also were not as good, had better connection with my China Made Tablet (P90 Advance) running Android 4.03!

10. aarongreater

aarongreater MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    Even though Windows RT share so many things similar with Windows 8, but it should become eventually completely different Opearting system from Microsoft than just one ARM version of Windows 8. Windows RT does not employ legacy desktop at all, everything in Windows RT is based on metro platform. Consume applications are the only thing for Windows RT, and PC or computers deploy it are the pure consume electronic products than the general purpose personal computers laying on desk or lap. About 11 years ago, when Microsoft released their most amazing OS Windows XP, it did really bring out one huge monster Windows XP 64-bit Edition for Itanium workstation. That thing is also adapt another architecture/ISA to Windows platform. But it is very cold to every day's use, and eventually abortion. This time, Windows RT, in my opinion would be much more successful comparing against Windows 8 for traditional x86/x64 PC.

The most charming metro style would eventually take place of everything of Windows for their 25 years GUI experiences. Comparing with Mac OS X, Windows RT is the very and first product from Microsoft overwhelming that it too.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows RT isn't Windows 8, otherwise it would have named Windows 8 RT. It were a mistake of mine to name this thread Windows 8 RT.

May A Mod or Admin could change the title to Windows RT? Thanks.

While windows RT is completely different from Windows 8, even if the GUI is looking the same, it's also a brand new OS for a completely different Processor Family. That said, it's clear that MS have go also a complete different way and have to implement a different kind of Apps as well. That's a huge step forward. Unfortunately MS has need 12 years from first implementation of an Tablet Computer to where they are today.
    The next huge step will be the Surface Pro running a x86 version of Windows 8, NOT RT! That one will be able to use normal desktop software. as for the public available today's hardware, that Surface Pro will be more weighty with different measuring that the Surface RT. That's depend on different and more porwerful components and special bigger Batteries because of higher power consumption.

Even the Surface outages the Apple iPad's in most aspects, question will be: "Will the public adopt the Surface same or even more as the iPad's?"! And will Apple also start sue MS with Patent cases?

Fact is that the Surface is build for real work ANBD is able to handle just that very easy. Regarding quite a lot reports and comments on the Internet, the Surface has already replaced the laptop by user who were able to get their hands on this machine. As for my own testing, I will still wait for the Surface Pro and will mainly use after i get it, for most work I do with my Laptop or the Android Tablet (it use a few years already) but 100%.

12. robonzio

robonzio MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2012
    The Surface Pro will cost 899$+ without cover. i think its a good price for a tablet thats more a notebook then a tablet

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It is!!

Compared with an Macbook Air, which also starts by US$ 999.00 the Pro also has better spec's stc. incl. the Display! I think that the Surface Pro could be a "HIT" and that also Mac Freak may wouyld move to it (hopefully!)!

14. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I still could need the reg key if someone has a RT.