Windows 8 ruin my motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryanpermadi135, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanpermadi135

ryanpermadi135 MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2012
    #1 ryanpermadi135, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Yesterday i want to full format my Laptop Acer 4755G.
    Windows 8 has a secure boot, so when I want change my boot priority, I can't press F2 in Bios screen setting.
    I research in Google, and found one website that teach how to change boot priority through Desktop.
    I follow the instructions but my laptop still didnt want boot from DVD.
    I found another solution, I must run script in CMD, shutdown /s /full but script error, because CMD didnt recognize /full..
    I run script shutdown /r /s as Admin. My system reboot and voila! i got stuck in Bios Screen in ACER LOGO with a half loading bar.

I can't press F2 for bios setting, or F1,F3,F4 ~ F12. But I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL..

I already
    - Reseating the battery, still stuck in Bios.
    - Reseating RAM, and change slot RAM, still stuck in Bios.
    - Remove Hardisk and turn on, still stuck in Bios.
    - Reseating CMOS Battery, still stuck in Bios.
    - Remove CMOS Battery and turn on, still stuck in Bios.
    - Clean dust in my system, still stuck in Bios.

I bring my laptop to Acer Centre, and i'm shocked!!! when I heard, I must change the motherboard and it cost $320..

So this is the end of my laptop??
    Please give me some advice...

* sorry for my bad english

Thx you so much

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    before the attempt to format, everything worked on your machine?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ryanpermadi135

Jun 25, 2012
    yep everything 100% worked..
    I want to full format because I want to sell my laptop..

4. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Can you post the link to the instruction you used?
    Maybe you modified something in the BIOS by mistake?

5. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    you should probably try entering uefi script...

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    So, it cannot be the mainboard as a software does not destroy hardware. It seems that something happened to your bios. Do you have the owners manual of that machine? there should be kind of troubleshooting regarding the bios to reset to its default values. This only works if not bricked during flashing but I think you didn't brick it with the above commands.
    On the other hand, s**t can happen within seconds and hardware says good bye which leads to change the mb.
    Perhaps someone else has ideas on your problem

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ryanpermadi135

Jun 25, 2012
    I can't post a link yet,,but i think if your search this in google,,you will find the source
    shutdown /s /full /t 0

yes i think about it too,,"software doesnt destroy hardware"..but it happens..:Flush:
    I think when I remove the CMOS battery, BIOS will reset to default values??
    and I dont have the owner's manual..
    aaarghh thanks for helping mee,,:worthy:

8. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    That is incorrect buddy, even software can destroy hardware. (like a worm virus back in the old days, some type of virus could kill a hdd)

CMOS Battery is almost 99% under the keyboard from the laptop. I have 2 different laptops here and both where placed under the keyboard.

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Are you actually pressing F2 fast enough? Secure Boot doesnt block stuff like that in the first place. Also inside Windows you could have simply used "Reset" and its like a new install..

10. surajsanyal007

surajsanyal007 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    try long pressing start button and then restart

11. ryanpermadi135

Jun 25, 2012
    yup in my laptop CMOS Battery is under the keyboard..and I already try to remove..

yeah I think I pressing F2 fast enough and I already tried ~8 times..but still BIOS setting didnt come up..
    I want Full Format to change my Partiton Layout too...

12. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I think by Secure Boot he means Ultra Fast Boot available in latest mobos. This Ultra Fast Boot doesn't give user enough time to press any key because POST period is very small. For boards with such feature, vendors normally supply softwares that let you boot into UEFI BIOS after a restart.
    With Intel Mobos, you can enter UEFI BIOS by pressing Power ON button for more than 3 seconds.
    I think there will be some utility or technique available for your vendor's motherboard too.

13. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Can you PM me the link, or just post here with a space added before the ".com" part. There are many link with "shutdown /s /full /t 0"

14. surajsanyal007

surajsanyal007 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    My lenovo g580 works like this with Win8

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  16. ryanpermadi135

Jun 25, 2012
    Done..
    Still no luck.
    :Flush:

PM sent...

I change /full with /r and now i cant use my laptop,,

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I do not entirely agree with you. I was talking about physical damage on hardware. What you mean is a damage of the master boot sector or such structures on the disc based on software. You cannot use the disc after such procedure but it still works. It must be reset to functional state and I know that it is possible but is beyond my knowledge how to manage this. There are several disc management tools to repair such discs if they are not physically damaged ...

18. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    #18 tgquan67, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    I don't know, but what is the point of a command with both /r(estart) and /s(hutdown) parameter? I just can't use /r and /s at a time
    Maybe you are unlucky enough to get the computer crashed at the right time :D

P/s: Try press pause/break when it stop/hang, there is a chance it will help

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    the command "powercfg -h off", which disables hibernation, will also disable the fast startup on Windows 8.

20. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009