windows 8 slow internet fixed!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by peekay9, Mar 7, 2013.

1. peekay9

peekay9 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    I couldn't get over 1.5mbs it shouldn't be like that so I pinpointed it to the antivirus software KASPERSKY !!!!! gone Now I am back up to speed last speed check 93mbs unreal. I think I will stick to MS security.

2. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Had the same problem with Norton. Slow internet and also slow boot up times.

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Getting rid of AV all together speeds up your internet

4. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I had no AV installed , or running . Just connected to net to get an update for IDM 4.7mb

Couldn't download at 5kbs/sec yet my MTS connection showed svchost downloading at speeds upwards of 1 + Mb/ sec .
    I had just installed win 8 pro , could not believe it takes so much data to Activate win 8 !!

I gave up after 20 minutes by switching off MTS connection. rebooted .

Then I saw what it was. All new Pics, News headlines, weather , banners on start menu . all without my permission .
    Have not used win8 on internet since then, can't afford . ISP charges are very high even for limited data.

I am still looking for ways to stop those apps from hijacking the connection .

5. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Was it because of the Real Time scanning feature of AVs or just the AV itself?

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #6 burfadel, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yes, you are right. It's the crappy Metro Apps, and I did mention that back when the consumer preview was released, and again when the final one was released, but it seemed few people believed me :D

There is a way to effectively completely disable Metro, it's in the little guide I made to partially decrapify Windows 8. As the Mcrip server is offline (where my pages are stored), here is an excerpt:

Code:
    Uninstalling Windows 'Apps'
    ---------------------------

Windows Apps, or 'Windows Craps' as I heave heard it referred to, are really gimmicky toys on desktop/laptop computers. If you like them that's fine, but really
    they just use a fair bit of disk space for what they are, and use download quota which may be an issue if you have limits. Of course, on a mobile device this could
    be much worse! Another issue is that UAC described earlier is system universal, and it is a requirement set by Microsoft for the use of Windows Apps. In other
    words, with UAC disabled, you can't use these 'Apps'. Luckily, you aren't missing out on much!

To remove Windows Apps, press the 'Windows' key (between left-ctrl and the left-alt button), and 'c' (without the quotes) simultaneously, this will show the charm
    bar on the right of screen, and from there you can select 'Start' to show the Metro screen.

On the Metro 'Start' screen, right click on the Windows App and click 'Uninstall' down the bottom. Repeat this procedure for all of the Windows Apps.

- copy and paste the reg settings between the separators below and save in a file with a .reg extension.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- run that file. This adds a function to the right click menu called 'take ownership', which allows you to edit some folders normally locked
    - navigate to C:\Program files and click on the view tab
    - click on 'options' --> 'view' tab, and deselect the option 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'
    - click on 'Hidden Items'
    - there is a folder called "WindowsApps'. Right click on this and select 'Take Ownership'
    - delete the folder

Now it is time to disable the app related registry entries. Remember once you set this, Apps won't work correctly. By Apps I mean the Windows 8 etc new UI apps,
    proper Windows applications will be fine!

So, to disable these, copy the following (between the separators) into notepad, and save it as a .reg file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AllUserInstallAgent]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SystemEventsBroker]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TimeBroker]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WSService]

After this, run the .reg file and restart the computer.

To undo these settings, copy the following into a .reg file, run it, and restart. You shouldn't need to do this!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AllUserInstallAgent]
    "Start"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SystemEventsBroker]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TimeBroker]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WSService]

7. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i thought everyone was doing this already? lol

8. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    Just do the right-click and choose "Turn live tile off".

9. hallucinogen

hallucinogen MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2013
    #9 hallucinogen, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Let me try, thanks.

10. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    There is a BS button called "THANKS"
    It is good for avoiding "Brilliant Statements"

11. It's Always Something

Mar 9, 2013
    Know this is a stooped question, but what is "AV"?

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    You're stealing this little show, buddy
    was waiting for OP's reply :shisha:

15. peekay9

peekay9 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    Good to see !

Don't you love open forums every one has and opinion.:)

16. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Install Windows 7 to fix that and more ;)