Windows 8 Start button isn't coming back, but there will be a tutorial

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Mar 31, 2012.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    They think they can fix that with a TUTORIAL? :eek:
    I think they are insane.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Not insane, just completly mad that Metro UI will be the future for the computers.....
    Metro will kill windows, which is in fact the real sense of the OS and the name given to it.
    They remove start ORB? Only to "FORCE" customers to use smthg that they think useful and productive depending in telemetry?

Think when i said FORCE, and a costumer will pay for it????
    Neither cracking will have sense......

Anyway Stardock has figured out a way to get it back(not creating a blank toolbar with Vistart ORB on it...)
    And i've digged in registry, there's a few string and keys referring to old start menu.... (but i have no idea to where and how, i'm not a programmer..)

The problem is not skipping, but downgrading all new laptops or desktops, or better buy them without OS(in Italy there's a possibility to buy few brands and models without it!)

The feedbacks all around are a very big fail bout windows(?????) 8 as it is, i doubt very much that from beta to RTM M$ will make so big changes, so maybe we are going to have a marvellous SO for tablets(i do not have, neither i will buy...) but a great loose on the big market share with laptops and desktops (tablet share is very small part)

This is just what is said all around the web, forums and blogs(MSDN blogs too......)

Let's see

4. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    It would be so stupid to remove Start menu. I hope they will not do this.

5. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #6 OvaryActing, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Not by a long shot. MS will do as MS pleases. Also, do you remember the first time you ever used windows xp sp0 on a fresh install? even now in sp3 days, you still get tour and short tutorial for xp. plus the things they spam at you during install.

I said almost the exact same word over windows 7's start menu not being like 95/98/me/2k/nt/xp/vista.
    But, now I prefer 7's start menu over those prior os's. Simply because I could pin shortcuts there so my taskbar was not filled with gobs of video games, and so my desktop could be relatively clutter free as well.

At first, I did not like the fact that the start orb was gone, but as soon as I saw what the right-click in that region holds, I was happy and surprised. Sad that I could not simply right-click a program or shortcut and pin to start-x. So, I am back to shortcuts on my desktop, because even with a trackball, the amount of mouse travel needed now start screen requires much more movement, killing fractions and whole seconds of productivity in my life. other than that, win8 is perfectly fine as an os, to me.

But my main point, unless you are an oem or some fortune 50-500 company, complaining about this or that in the UI will do absolutely no good to aide your cause in what you think a global product should look.

People paid for Vista even though people bitched about Vista's ui.
    People still cracked Vista even though people bitched about Vista.
    People pay for 7 even though people bitched about 7's ui.
    People still crack 7 even though people bitched about 7.

It will happen.
    You can't stop it.

Accept the change and be compliant sheeples (humor line)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #8 SOCRATE_MMXII, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Good for MS for not backing down with the removal of the start button and UI changes. The logic that people will switch over to linux or OS X because of this makes no sense. Explain to me how the average user will be less confused and spend less time by switching to linux. There is no way my family members and friends that barely grasp using Win7 are going to find using linux easier. I am a power user, have tried using Ubuntu and I found it ok. No way the so called average PC user would take the time to learn it. Not to mention the lack of compatability of programs. Switching to OS X would be more plausable but learning the new UI would take many hours. After all isn't the basis of this argument about learning the new UI and being less productive. With OS X there are still some programs that I use in windows that are not compatable in OS X. In the end as with other things in life most people will eventually adapt to the change and move foward. If not they can stay behind and be happy with the old way of doing things. Embrace change instead of running away from it. Change is good. Doing the same thing over and over again in life brings on complacency and dulls your senses.

8. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
  9. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    Personal I found the loss of a start menu, strange for the first day but after that it was not a problem at all. I do think the metro ui looks very boring, however as I do, many computer uses will just find it easy to use as the everyday programs are there for you to open just like on your phone. Which is the whole idea, having one style of OS across all your devices. And a quick tutorial will be enough too explain it to many people IMHO:) .

10. cridder

cridder MDL Novice

May 10, 2009
    Meh, just wait till Windows 9 comes and all will be fixed, like most business' will :) W8 will be a love/hate relationship... Love on my Tablet, hate on my desktop.

And given Microsoft's vision they will definitively not make MetroUI the only way to experience W8. They'll loose massive sales on OEM products for big business'. The W8 Home edition will prob. force MetroUI, professional or any of the likings will have MetroUI prob. as optional. At the moment Microsoft is just enjoying the massive roar which provides free face time everywhere. They'll turn around at some point and ppl will rejoice :)

11. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    classic shell will fix all annoying issues in windows 8. :worthy:

it seems microsoft wants users to depend upon 3rd party tools instead of providing builtin options to turn features on/off. :mad:

12. alik

alik MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    The "tutorial" reminds me the old days of Windows 95's "Click here to begin" arrow...

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Three critical points:
    - Ease of use
    - Practicality
    - Functionality

This is true for both desktops and mobile devices. The problem is, the answer to these points is different for mobile devices and desktops, a 'one size fits all' solution isn't the answer. By making it 'simpler' you inevitably make it more complex, because simplification removes some functionality (including the ability to do things beyond the scope of a very basic user), and you also remove some practicality when it comes to using lots of different programs. It might seem great for someone to just browse the internet, email, message, and other 'core' tasks, in other words things you do on a mobile device, but going beyond that you lose practicality, which in turn means you lose ease of use!

You should be able to get ANYONE familiar with 95/98/ME/Vista/7 to sit down at immediately be able to use the computer, instead of relearning how to use Windows all over again.

14. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    That may be true, but the word 'Start' on the 'Start Menu' kind of gave it away too! even someone not familiar at all with the Windows Vista/7 interface is drawn to that little Windows logo ball thing on the bottom left of the screen :)

15. lingming

lingming MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2011
    well i know ive seen this before but we already know its their and i know change is hard i dont know how old you people are but things change all the time we went from brick phone to flip phone to slide phone to full touch and so on . Now im a blind it so the keys is my friend try unplugging your mouse in windows 7 and unplug in windows 8 Alot is the say all they did is made it bigger if you make it small its the same old menu. Yes metro Apps is more fitted to Touch but hey that where the phone went laptop went their and their is touch PCs for a while
    Heres a nice saying how do you know if your getting be hide in Tech?
    Its when your not moving forward
    and yes sorry for the mis-spelled word and bad grammar

16. denisw705

denisw705 MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Microsoft working for new theme , media player and new start menu ????

17. KINGZOFSTEEL

KINGZOFSTEEL MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2012
    #19 KINGZOFSTEEL, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    I wouldn't hold my breath it's a big mess everything being hidden and all lol but fun to play around with at the moment.

18. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010