Windows 8 System Restore Madness :-(

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by EC51, Dec 10, 2012.

1. EC51

EC51 MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Hi folks.

I've been using Windows 8 for a couple of months now. And overall, I like it. However, this one thing constantly gets on my nerves. It's system restore. (System Protection -> System Restore).

I always disable system restore. (since Windows XP days). I just don't like it. And Windows XP, Vista and 7 always *stayed* disabled once I well.. disabled it. However, in Windows 8, this sucker won't stay disabled. So, I now have a new daily habit of checking if system restore is disabled (or not).

It's disabled now but tomorrow or the next day, it will turn itself on again. :-(

I've done several format and clean install, no dice.

Is there a way to permanently disable system restore for good ? (registry?)

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #2 abbodi1406, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    try:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\Setup_Last]
    "Unattend_DisableSR"=dword:00000001

or start group policy editor (Run: gpedit.msc)
    goto:
    Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates > System > System Restore
    At right pane, double-click "Turn off Configuration".
    Select "Enabled".
    Click "OK".
    Double-click "Turn off System Restore".
    Select "Enabled"
    Click "OK".

3. EC51

EC51 MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank you! I try that tonight and report back!

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    @EC51, +1 I'm with you, I've found that System Restore is only occasionally useful (meaning working to resolve a problem, or even working at all) so I've disabled it since XP on my own systems and on other's systems I've worked on too, when I implement some third-party backup program; otherwise I leave it on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    If you've disabled it since XP, how would you know if it's any good? System restore on pre-SP1 XP was severely flawed but the SP1 version worked much more successfully. The Vista and Win7 versions were even better.

System restore isn't for every problem but it is another layer of protection that you can try before re-imaging your drive. If your drive image is corrupted, which has happened to me before with Acronis, then you are SOL.

Also, re-imaging isn't something you want to do often if you have an SSD because of thre large amount of data being written.

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    #6 roirraW "edor" ehT, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    If you're addressing the OP instead of me, disregard. :)

Of course I re-tried System Restore every once in a while. I agree with your statements about the improvements over time.

I have yet to have an SSD. I accumulate data way to fast and have enough money way too little to spend my money on anything but huge hard drives when I get a chance.

With each new OS version (Vista, 7, 8) or major update (SP1, SP2...) I kept System Restore on until I had a real-world reason to try to use it. Almost always for something relatively simple, not for a virus or a totally screwed system or anything. I would guesstimate that 30% of the time System Restore completed successfully - whether that solved the problem or not, and 70% of the time System Restore wouldn't even complete. In some of these cases this was on fairly fresh installations, less than a month old.

I meant to add that with each new OS version, System Restore reliability has improved, especially over that in XP, but once System Restore fails for me, I just start turning it off each new installation of mine. Heck, under Windows 8 with RecImg and RecImg Manager (third party simple GUI for RecImg), it's so far very fast and reliable for me.

FYI I had similar experience (as System Restore) with the built-in backup feature starting with Windows Vista, including with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Windows 7's solution comes with Windows 8). Again, each time I try it until a real world reason comes up... In most cases, the backup program eventually, sooner than later, fails to finish backing up for no explainable reason. Sometimes a reboot solved it, but most of the time once it quit working it would never work for me again.

This is under many, many separate installations of Windows XP through 8 on well over a dozen different PCs of mine and others who I've worked on.

I have also used Acronis in the past, and Norton Ghost, PQI DriveImage or whatever it was before Symantec bought it, and others, and you're right when images are corrupt you're SOL. I've had that happen far less for me than incomplete System Restores, though. With RecImg I haven't had a reason to resume imaging yet, though. I consider my installations reasonably disposable since I keep data separate and backed up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    OP. I have had this happen so many times as well. It has to be a Windows 8 bug? People that are a fan of system restore. Get a real nasty on a machine and see how it goes working with that. It resides in 2 places instead of one. Getting back to Windows 8 turning system restore back on automatically. I don't know why it is so insistent on doing so. Like I said. I am guessing a bug. At the same time. I don't see how MS would over look this.

8. EC51

EC51 MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    #8 EC51, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I'm happy to report that it works. Thank you again. :)

9. Themask007

Themask007 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    Happy to see Solution. I happened to me last week. I then restored Image.

10. Rainey

Rainey MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    I though it was odd when i found it turned back on on my SSD.
    So i am not the only one.

Thanks for the registry hack.

I see that windows 8 has some maintenance tasks maybe one of them is turning this back on.

11. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
  12. The Wendigo

The Wendigo MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    I've only ever had it FAIL once.

And that was MY fault, not the software.

I'll take system-imaging and System Restore over the (IMO) useless Reset and Refresh any day.

13. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    lol useless Reset feature... welcome to recimg.exe :wallbash:

14. The Wendigo

The Wendigo MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012

Er...OK. Your point being....?

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The point being that calling the Reset feature useless when it's allowing you to revert to a image of your Install you created is :wallbash:

16. The Wendigo

The Wendigo MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    I DID say 'in my opinion', it's not Holy writ.

My current system works perfectly for me, so why should I change what works.

Not saying you're wrong.

17. rjc862003

rjc862003 MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2009
    This is sparta!