Windows 8 Tile Reset?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Zukariji, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Okay, so I removed all the tiles on the Metro Start Screen so I could use it as a glorified full-screen search engine. However, I've changed my mind and want to have the apps to the original way they were. I tried pinning the apps to the start menu again however I've realised that that doesn't work - You can't put tiles underneath other tiles, and it ends up just creating a long vertical list of apps which is horrid to use.

So I was wondering is there a way to restore the default settings without refreshing/resetting the W8 settings?

Thanks.

2. ~Yoshi

~Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Just look up a screenshot of the default start screen and pin the default apps one by one. It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to do this...

3. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
  4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Gotcha, sounds like a problem. When you say without refreshing/resetting, are you trying to avoid using System Restore ?

5. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Yeah pretty much.

6. ~Yoshi

~Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Backup your user profile, start the default Administrator user profile and remove your current one. Then restore it.
    If this doesn't help then I think your installation is broken. Try using 'sfc /scannow' in an administrator command prompt.

I don't think it's possible to restore the start screen to default. If it is then I don't know how.

7. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    What about the 'Refresh your PC ..' option in the Control Panel?

It's in the 'General ' section , that might sort it out!

Un-tested by me I should point out ...

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    "Without refreshing"

Me thinks he knows how to fix the problem using the Microsoft approved methods (refresh / system restore etc) I suspect he is looking to figure out which registry setting or whatever is really causing the issue.

FYI, to the op. Maybe you want to install Windows 8 in a second VM with working Tiles. Then export both the users profile Hives and start comparing.

9. Soiarn

Soiarn MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Simple...

Create a new user account.
    Another approach, copy the file that tells how the start screen is customized from the admin account.