Windows 8 Upgrade DVD ISO is different from MSDN?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by IND, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Yesterday I made purchase Windows 8 upgrade DVD ( pro)
    but after download I found that The iso is only 2 gb
    Also i cant understand is it 32 bit or 64 bit .

can u tell me whats the difference between this and MSDN pro one and why size different ?
    thanks in advance.

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    The disc should state either 32 or 64 bit. Considering the size of it being 2gb, I'm leaning more towards 32 bit.

The difference between this version and the MSDN version is that you have the "Upgrade Disc" compared to the full version.

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #3 rrohela, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    If you downloaded from 32bit OS then its 32bit & according to size its 32bit... Its size is less than MSDN image coz it has compressed & secured install.esd file not install.wim. Second factor is its only pro image no core included but both images are part of MSDN image.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also that ISO is looking for an preinstalled OS Windows 7, Vista or XP SP2 or 3. It ask for the Product Key while starting the setup. It will install in the same Bit Version as the preinstalled OS 32bit or 64bit.

If you use the RTM ISO, you have the advantage for to chose the Install format of 32bit or 64bit. The installation process of the RTM also ask on the end of installation for the Product Key and use that Version you have bought (Pro or Core) regardless of 32bit or 64bit system.

If you like to really upgrading from your existing OS, the Upgrade ISO is the way to go, if you like to do a clean Install, the RTM is the easiest way to go.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #5 rrohela, Jan 12, 2013
    Have you tried it?.. I installed it few times but never asked for previous OS.
    Even MSDN image ask for product key while starting...
    If previously install applications are not required then you can go for 64bit...
    I think you are using AIO disk & is true for AIO image only...
    Again same downloaded retail image will work... yes fix is required for clean install...

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, the first downloaded ISO while buying the first Upgrade Key and later on the DVD from the Upgrade Box I also bought: both were asking for the Product Key on beginning of Installation! Both also was looking for the previous installed OS! I don;t know where you got your ISO from, I downloaded directly from MS with the Upgrade Assistant and the Original DVD's from MS in the Box! Also my RTM ISO is directly from MS and it's the same as in the Official Windows 8 Repository of MDL (exact same Checksum!!)!

Sorry I run the MSDN RTM ISO and there isn't any problem to use an Upgrade Key for a clean installation. I posted the same several time already!

I didn't was need any Fix for installation!

Take it or leave it, it's just the truth but stop to telling to know better what I've done on several hundreds installations of Windows 8 within my customers and also by friends and in my own office!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    #7 IND, Jan 12, 2013
    (OP)

Can U please show me the screenshot where Upgrade ISO looking for previous os :eek:
    and I also bought back up dvd but not yet received .can U tell me what will be the box ?
    I single dvd containing 32bit and 64 bit ?

and can I install a fresh windows by formatting my ssd by this dvd ?
    thanks

8. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Regarding the fix issue. I install for a friend who bought the upgrade key but his laptop is at a crawling speed. I decided then to delete all partitions and do a clean install with the RTM retail iso.
    At the beginning of installation the setup ask to input the upgrade key which i did. I then configured the wireless connection at the end of installation and select the local account. The installation
    was successful and windows immediately activated.

I was not aware that a fix is needed. Will ignoring the fix cause future issues with activation.

Thanks in advance.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I bought the BOX by an Retailer in Bangkok and there 2 DVD's included 32bit & 64bit. I was try once to install from those DVD's as well as once using the WUA. On every install of that I booted form USB stick (I created from the downloaded ISO prepared from WUA) and DVD and was get asked on beginning for the Key. I used an new HDD and was getting, after I was place the p-key, the error that no previous Windows installation were found and that the installation will stop. Used the MS RTM ISO's it were asked on the end of installation for the key and activated without any problem. I wasn't need any fix and all installation I had done, which are quite a lot over the last 2 month, working till today without problems. Also ALL of the installation were Clean Installs, either on an freshly Low Level formatted HDD without any Partitions or new HDD's.

11. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #12 rrohela, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Yes agreed with you....

It could be reason of different experiences with same upgrade install... I downloaded images the day MS opens the gate... Even test it today but nothing as your mentioned experience...
    So i think MS might have changed the image later to prevent clean install...

You are the first who reported this( or i am not aware of it) & might possible that other will mention the same that my installation is looking for previous installation...

12. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
  13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you can load an enterprise edition which doesn't ask for a key during installation. Later you need to activate by using the KMS system for example

14. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    No he is talking about pro one .

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I'm not 100% positive but maybe he spoke about 8pro VL which afaik don't need a key during first installation. I didn't try this version and so far, I'm not sure if a key is needed

16. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    only he can answer this .
    anyway if I use MSDN ISO ( pro) with a upgrade key will this works ?

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you speak about the $39.99 one or the Media key? 39.99 should do its job

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #19 urie, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Well I just did a test installation yesterday with en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso you cannot install it without key. I had to add EI.cfg file to ISO
    Code:
    [EditionID]
    Professional
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

19. IND

IND MDL Member

Jul 25, 2009
    39.99$ one .