Windows 8 upgrade with Win 7 in dual boot ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ozo, Oct 27, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2007
    I have Win 7 installed on my main HDD.
    If I purchase the 40$ Windows 8 upgrade, can I install Windows 8 on a separate partition of the same HDD while keeping the Win 7 partition available (and untouched) through a dual boot option?

If so, can I rely on the Windows 8 setup application to take care of installing the boot loader and adding the two OSes to the boot options? Or is it something that I have to take care myself with some third-party boot loader and custom installation steps?

In other words, I want to end up with a dual boot setup made of Win 7 and a new, freshly installed, Windows 8 setup. Is it something that I can do with the "upgrade" Windows 8 license?

Thanks,

Ozo.

2. szoki

szoki MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    First we had to make a new partition
    It can serve any program to create partitions, like
    Partition Wizard Home Edition
    can be downloaded from here.
    __h..p://w...partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    Next should be cloned partition with Win 7 then
    hides one partition, and on the other install Win 8
    When installation is complete return the hidden partition, and in boot manager on win 8 adds Win 7 or using EasyBCD
    Well explained solution have the following link
    __h..p://w__.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/6513
    I hope that helped you bye.

3. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi, it is possible cuz it's what ive done. However i installed windows7 and then windows8 but with the iso no dvd. That is to say: when you'll install w8 from iso, you wont have choice in HDD selection so it'll install directly on Windows 7 hdd and you can choose to backup Windows7 (Windows.old folder at hdd root) Then if you install it with a dvd, so you'll need first to make a new partition. Windows 8 cares about the Windows 7 loader, it then asks you to choose to boot on 8 or 7, as i'm having...

4. ozo

ozo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2007
    So, if I install Win 8 (upgrade version) from the bootable DVD, I will have the option of installing it on a different HDD partition (than where Win 7 is installed)? Of course, it is assuming the partition was already created.

And once the Win 8 installation is completed, I will have the option (at boot time) to either boot the older Win 7 or the newer Win 8?

Thanks,

Ozo.